Thread: Shelf Pin Holes...How to

Default Shelf Pin Holes...How to

Hi All,
    I just completed my first plenum and I'm thinking ahead about a project I have to do, specifically, shelf pin holes. Not sure how to approach them, I have a spindle and no air drill. Lets say I want 5 mm holes, do I plunge with a smaller bit and pocket? Or do I use a 5mm bit and peck drill?
    Any help is appreciated.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

If you use a smaller bit and pocket you will get better results . Be careful when you drill , lets say 1/4 " holes with a 1/4" bit , this builds alot of heat and can result in a fire. there have been many people who have had fires ( Me one of them , twice) especially if you are using a vac hold down system. i ma sure there are old post of people who have done this. Good luck

I have been using Centurians 5mm bit for cab drilling for years now. I use peck drilling with a single retraction for each partial depth hole. I also pre drill hinge and drawer holes and use 5mm system screws and so drill deep enough for those. I don't drill through any boards that way though due to the heat buildup mentioned by Gene.
    It is actually the only bit I use as I also only have a single head system and changing bits back and forth all day is a waste (IMHO). So I do the dados at full depth and cut-outs in 3 passes.

I use a 5mm Amana boring bit with spindle speed of 3000rpm and plunge rate of .5ips. I have never had a heating problem in MDF, melamine, plywood or solid wood and the holes are super crisp. I use the same bit for hardware holes. I also use a 8mm bit for hardware holes, a Rafix bit for RTA hardware and a 1/2" 3-flute downcut spiral for hinge cup holes.

I have a 2.2 spindle and and air drill but don't use the air drill much anymore.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.