Thread: high chair tray

Default high chair tray

Here is today's mini-project..

We have a nice, well made (in Canada) maple and leather high chair we bought for my son. The trouble is it is made to sit at the table, and our son isnt quite tall enough yet.

I made up a tray to sit on the front rail. Made from 3/4" hard maple, oiled like a cutting board for easy clean up and a food safe surface.

I made one as a sample as well, for the store where I purchased the chair from. They say people ask for a tray, but the company who makes it doesnt make one.

The chair:

The tray top:

The bottom - the rail on the chair is exactly 1 1/2" wide by 1" thick. The holder part is a snug fit on to the rail.

On the high chair:

Thanks!

Andrew

Nothing like custom made.......good job.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Nothing like custom made.......good job.
    Thanks Jack! Being in woodworking all my life (I grew up in my dad's shop before taking over) I am used to making things - especially for the house.

However, something like this, previously, would have taken quite a bit of work with a hand router, patterns and so forth. On the CNC it is literally a 15 minute cut including setting up the bit, and a change over to cut the outer profile.

I know a lot of you guys have been at the Shopbot for a long time - and I have only had mine for just a matter of weeks now. But, my mind is always "working" to think what I can do next...

I have a few custom vanities to do next, after the wall units I am currently working on are done. The vanities will have solid surface tops (which I fabricate), I am looking forward to cutting the material on the bot. I dont particularly like fabricating solid surface due to the dust - I find it irritating and it gets everywhere. The tops are 44" and 48" - just small enough to fit on my Buddy. Will make cutting the sink, and taps holes a breeze, as well as cutting for the edges, splash, etc.

Also, I'd rather use one $20 carbide spiral for that job and throw it away, vs using a good blade for my 14" sliding panel saw, and then having to spend twice that to get it sharpened.

AJC

Hey where is his name engraved on it....just kidding Andrew. Nice job. Years ago I made toddler beds for my kids (raised panel oak) and when they outgrew them packed them away for perhaps their kids. Perhaps you will do the same. Yes the bot seems to make tasks allot easier. Hard on the brain though....I find my mind is still going hours after my head hits the pillow and hard to get to sleep.
    Again nice job, keep pics coming.

Funny thing... for some reason yesterday I contacted the manufacturer of the high chair (Monte' Designs, made here in Toronto, Canada) and sent a photo of the high chair tray.

I actually got a reply from the company owner last night (yeah, on a saturday evening no less) and he asked for more pics, and said he was pretty impressed with the tray.

WHo knows, maybe it will be an addition to their product line in the future? It has been a treat to use for the past several weeks.

And, I am surprised that the maple didnt warp at all. Flat as the day I made it.

AJC

hopefully he won't send the pictures to china to have them produced there. Maybe you will have to start a production run and make nothing but high chair tops, kind of like Harry and his bathouses!

Jack,
    The company manufactures all of their product here in Canada, about 8 hours south of me in Toronto. I wouldnt mind if they "borrowed" my idea... I am in no way set up for mass production and my intention was not to suggest they buy from me, but to see what they can add to the line to improve a great product.

AJC

copyright the design and sell it to them and get $1.00 or $2.00 for each one they sell, it might make you some extra money! Never give anything away you can make a buck on...

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    copyright the design and sell it to them and get $1.00 or $2.00 for each one they sell, it might make you some extra money! Never give anything away you can make a buck on...
    Jack,
    I like to share my ideas. I may not be the saviest business man, but my main motivation for what I do is my love for woodworking, and also an outlet for creativity & engineering as well.

I received another email today - they are reconsidering offering a tray with their chair! And, they want to purchase one of mine The owner of the company also said if they use my design, they will compensate me for it. I think that was very nice!

We'll see what transpires...

AJC

I think you need to hire me as your business manager!
    good luck...if i were you i'd hold out for 1 or 2 points on all sales, stock options, company profit sharing, creative control over design and implementation, copyright control and a seat on the Board of Control..but that's just me...