Thread: So to clarify about solidworks....

Default So to clarify about solidworks....

It is a good program to use to start some 3D work in shopbot? I am planning on getting some training on some sort of 3d software. And toolpathing can be done in millwizard? Or should the CAM be done in another separate program all together?
    Or is there an even better 3d program with CAM built in?

Thanks for any help.

It depends on what kind of 3D work you want to do. For generic 3D parts and engineered assemblies, it is an excellent program, but Rhino will do the same for much less. If you want to create 3D reliefs and toolpaths in the same program, ArtCAM Pro is the best. ShopBot sells it.

-B

Hey,

Brady is correct...there are lots of 'flavors" of 3d work and choosing the correct software for the type of work you do is very important. If you've looked at Solidworks and it seems like it does the kind of modeling that you have in mind, you might want to take a look at Alibre Design. It's less expensive than Solidworks and they have a free Express version that's pretty complete, with tutorials to get you started.

http://www.alibre.com/

Bill

Thanks for both of your replies.
    I work in research designing housings for electronics primarily in 3d. I've attached a few photos of things we might consider building with 3d(4th axis). Can you tell me from that what my best option might be?
    Oh, and we have the 4th axis indexer on the way as we speak. Which is another question, would all Cad/cam software accomodate this?

Thanks again!!!

sorry, trying to shrink the photo sizes.

You can use the probe & the indexer together to create a 3D file. However, there are a few snags, and you'd better know what you are doing before attempting.

4th axis work is pretty tricky for full 3D parts. Yes, you can design parts for full rotary, but that depends on the shape & how you intend on machining it - if breaking out 3D from 2D areas, this is tricky. Your best bet may be to send the part out to be laser scanned 360°, and then you'll have an STL or something like that ready to be cut in your 3D program.

Any way you slice it...this is a challenging, but not impossible part to program and cut on the Bot. Just give yourself some time to understand the probe & the indexer before you use them together.

-B

Thems are prime Solidworks parts, right there! If you are designing parts like the one pictured, definitely do it in Solidworks, regardless of what you use for the CAM.

Gabe

Thanks Bill,

That's a good pickup.

Richardson Texas isn't too far away so I may pay them a visit. Lets see now, do I still have that big old hat and pointy boots? Their prices are amazing.

Joe