Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Not HDU Again "CRACK"

Default Pub Sign

I am going to attach this sign to a north facing wall above the front entrance to a pub. There is an overhang so there will be little exposure to elements. It is 15lb 2" signfoam. I was going to create a couple of small pockets in the back of the signfoam then attach a painted plywood backing, gorilla glued with bolts glued inside facing outwards and mount to side of building that way. (not sure if that's clear) There is an existing wooden sign with glued on letters, I thought I would just chip off the letters and use the flat wood already mounted to attach my bolts to. Any suggestions? Comments?
    p.s. this sign still to be painted, so please no advice to paint...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks fairly sizable, Ryan, and deeply pocketed. Gluing the plywood to the back is a good first step - personally I would use a minimum of 3/4" and nothing less. I'm not sure about the bolts.. sounds like it would work fine, but I think you might need more structure across the back if that sign is wider than 5'. Personally, I'd weld up a square tube frame to encompass most of the back of the sign (with the plywood) and put tabs off of that to mount your bolts to the existing sign. Use 2" tube, pre-drill it for 3/8" short lags in a few spots and epoxy it to the plywood. Find lag bolts that won't punch through the face in the spots where you pre-drilled and put those in place. Pre-drill those holes into the ply/hdu sandwich and put some epoxy in those holes before you anchor the lag screws. All that should give you a very strong (and heavy) sign that should not warp - ever.

Rick

I'm not quiet sure about all that underlayment. Here is a simular panels that went up fast and has lasted for years. I bolted a back panel to the brick wall which is about an inch larger than the sign. I rounded over the edges and painted it black. The material is Extira. My sign is attached with four bolts which are covered up with the gold dots, top, bottom and sides.

Ryan,

I think a backer board larger than your panel would give you lots of flexability. I'd round it over and by painting is black or a dark color it would become a design element.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 05-09-2012 at 06:48 PM.

For some reason I missed the "bolted to the building" part. I thought it was a single face freestanding... not enough coffee today I guess. good lookin' sign there, Joe. Did you glue it to the Extira or just bolted it?

You gotta allow it to move. No glue. I have a thick washer between these panels to allow moisture to escape. Looking forward to seeing the sign installed.

Joe Crumley

Exclamation 2 Cracks on 1 yr old HDU

I know that this post has not been very active recently but I wanted to post this since it is relative. I may make another thread to get some feedback just noticed post had almost 4600 views.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Could the cracks be due to the size or does smaller foam signs crack also ? I have never made one from sign foam .

Chad,

Good idea to start another thread on this topic.

When I first posted my concerns about HDU not holding up over time, it wasn't much of a concern. Today I use very little of this material because it's proven unworthy. I still like it for some 3D work but that's about all.

Many of us have tried all sorts of methods to get around the inherent it's softness and brittle qualities but it's just too much trouble. Some of the 15lb varieties are too time consuming to fill and paint. For those reasons I've moved on to cheaper and better products. One of them is .75" and 1"PVC.

The good things about the cracks, holes and chips with HDU, they can be filled, sanded and painted. It appears this sign is a free swinging one. If so I gotta tell you these are the most likely to have seperation problems.

Please tell us more about the project.