Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is it?

Craft shows and County fairs are total hit and miss and you never know when you will hit a good day or a bad day. My late brother-in-law made wood boxes to sell at whatever market came along. Sizes from hope chest to pocket size tooth pick holders. All wood boxes were hand crafted and no one the same as the last. We can tell you that from location to location and from fle-market to craft show you could never pin down what would sell or not sell. Even the same location at the same event but a different day could be a great day or a no sale day. Size, shape, finish and price of the box didn't matter, basically you just have to be in the right place at the right time with the right stuff for the right customer. You just never know and all you can do is go and try it.

Being a juried artist i have learned from doing shows. That you have to have a good price range... I have also learned that if your price on certain items is too low people will not buy it.. Doing shows where there is product made over seas will kill your sales... Parents buy for the children first and it will be the cheap china product... I only do shows where it is a juried show no comerical made product... Most of my shows i average clearing after the cost around 600.00 per day. I am very selective of my shows i do not do shows no matter how big they are if the allow vendors to sale foreign made product.. And if more of the true crafter's would do this we all would see show improvements ... I do not do 1 day shows... Except for the governor derby breakfast... It more for the show you have to be invited to do that show.. And it is free...
    Boot set up and design plays a lot in how much you make.... I have items that draw people in... They are not for sale but people like to look at them... The more people that are in the booth the more you sale...
    Reputation goes a long way...
    I have people that call and get my show schedules so they can come and see what new items i have added.. I add new items each year..
    I keep items for children like small toys, to 500.00 items...
    If it is out doors i drop the 500.00 items.
    I have a friend that makes out door furniture.. The last show we did together he sold one items for 10,000.00 this again is juried shows,,
    match the theme of the show helps.
    Maybe i should do a class just for crafter's and have the patterns that they can make on the cnc on cd for the class to take home. Lol

I have tried ESTY spent a lot of time setting it up but got no sells after 4 months. I did the eBay to but after 6 months with only 3 sells I removed all item. I do a crafts one to two times a month the biggest sell it toy’s (Made in America). Make a sign that says made in America. Get labels that say made in America or a branding iron Made in America. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=made+in+america+lab els&_nkwusc=made+in+america+lables&_rdc=1 Link to labels sold on eBay. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000979/9907/branding-iron-handcrafted-by--electric-model.aspx Link to branding iron.

Here is a link to a site that sells Scroll saw toy plans.http://toymakerpress.com/index.html most of the toy I make is for scrap wood for around the shop. Here is another site with some free scroll saw plans. http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/

On another note last year I was a show where the kids come running up to look at the toy’s. Dad was a Dr. opening a new office and needed a sign for his new shop to make a long story short he order 3 4’ x 8’ HDU signs 2 number signs, and one name sign total sale $6200.00

You need to make something that is going to get people over to your booth. Make something large. I did a coffin out of plywood for a Halloween show not planning to sell it but it did sell for $250.00 had them pick it up at the end of the show. I did a larger bass out of foam was using it out at a fishing tournament show. Again not planning to sell it but a person selling fishing poles as it he could buy it. I sold it to him for $300.00. it was only painted white.

I sell some ready made cedar signs for $10 not painted and sell a lot of cutouts again not paited. If you have another person that can whatch your booth go out and talk to other crafters tell them you can do cutouts for them. I got one lady that i do horses for she orders 20 at a time about every other month.

I agree with what Rob says you just do not know what kind of show you are going to have. You just have to keep trying Hope this help. Any question just email me.

Tim
    www.amptx.com
    www.woodfromtx.com

Tim

Thanks for taking the time to post! A couple of questions for you...

1, Are your toys all without finish (concerned about laws regarding finishes on toys for kids under 12)
    2. What kind of response do you get from your web sites? and how do you drive traffic to them?

I've been advertising "Made in Texas by a Texas Artisan" to no avail... Maybe some folks don't remember that Texas is still in the USA... HA!

Steve

He a Video link on the same page on with kind of finish to used. it will tell you how to make it your self.
    http://www.toymakerpress.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html

The web page is more for my local customers to order off of and to show my work. It takes a lot of time to do SEO (Search engine optimization) so I just do what i can when I can. I have sold item from CA to NY over the last 3 years. Note sell this year are way down. If you are looking for a web hosting Auctiva Commerce is the way I went. The price is $14.95 for 100 products no other fee. You do the work but they will help you setup your site. They were giving 2 hr of on phone help ea month for free but do not know it that is still going on. But there email tech is very good most of the time less than 24 hr. You could check and see here is a link http://www.auctivacommerce.com/pricing.aspx

You should also run an ad on craigslist put an ad under crafts, and Business and run them in a few of the bigger cities.

Also after you get a line of products go by local shop in your area; ACE hardware sells my mirrors and some signs, they buy from local shops and I do all there sign work. Make some catalog and or flyers of your work. Vista print does this work at a very good price. Email me and I will email you there latest email. maroneys@gvtc.com

TOYS
    Small Parts Warning: Some of our product have small parts and are not recommended of children under the age of 3.

You will want to put this on all your toy’s

check this page out

it is also on my web page at the bottom

Also if you are using any kind of plastic rape you need to have a lable that says

This is no a toy

on the out side of the plastic wrap

hope this help anymore question just ask

Tim

I just done the derby breakfast for our 3rd year in a row to be invited. This year in four hours we did over 450.00 profit... This was after all expenses was paid... This show is free but it is by invitation only... And is limited to 12 vendors each year... For toys i never put a finish on them... Sand and that it... If i was going to put a finish on toys it would be only mineral oil.
    If is food grade safe... Fda is in the process of stopping the use of certain waxes, paints, and varnishes... Mineral has been approved for a long time as food safe, for any age.
    We only do shows where we have to be juried into the show... This cuts out the commericaly made product for over seas..... We have every thing from toys to large items like a bistro table... I always have a item that i call my wow factor... It can be as simple as a doll house. To as elaborate as a skeleton... One thing i have learned is have something that the crowd is going to tell their friends to go see. Have something that they will want to stand and look at... The more people that is looking at your booth the more they will buy.... This is our 2nd show for the year... Our first.. Got so busy that i had to call my in laws to come and help.. I had a skeleton set up looking like a chef.... There was lines waiting to get their picture taken and to end up buying items from our booth... We sold out... At that first show.. I am still playing catch up... My next show is in frankfort ky. It is a 3 day show... This year it is june the 7th thru the 9th.. If you are in the area, or have nothing to do come by and see how we do our shows... Our next show will be in louisville ky and it is the end of june and first part of july... Shows are hit and miss but you can cut down on the misses by having items for all ages, and sort of like fly fishing match the event...