Thread: Need help w/spindle.

Default Need help w/spindle.

Recently purchased a PRS 96x48 2007-2008 model shopbot w/spindle. I was told it was a single phase 5hp. Guy had it wired direct to breaker box.

Anyway machine is up and running correctly. But can't get spindle to run. What I have is a Yaskawa v74x controller, spindle is model HSD- AT/MT 1073-140. shopbot controller is the type that looks like a computer. The only wire from the SB controller is to the spindle fan and is running it fine. No other contacts from SB controller to spindle is present. Orange cable is connected to spindle. Large black cable from vfd has 3 wires black, red and green. red and black are run to a 50 amp double pole breaker and green is run to ground.

I'm in need of some serious hand holding here. As you may can tell I can't read wiring diagrams. Pictures are better for me to understand. I feel I may be under powered, as is the reason I gave model #'s.

Shop is wired 100 Amp?.

I would like to get this going this weekend or the wife says I'm sleeping with it. She don't know but when it gets going, we'll be together, me and the SB the whole weekend.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    Last edited by Kemosabe62; 04-29-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Clarification

Hi Anthony,

Check that your 220 feed is connected to terminals 1 and 3 in your control box...I originally had mine on terminals 1 and 2 ... the fan was running (from 110) but the spindle would not run because it wasn't getting power...the wiring diagram clearly showed that 220 was supposed be connected to 1 and 3, but my electrician missed that! A quick call to ShopBot Tech Support revealed the error of my ways. Reconnected the 220 (properly) and I was up and running in about two minutes!

NOTE: the machine I use is the PRSalphaBT48 so I don't know if your wiring diagram is the same or not...you will need to peek at your diagram to verify the terminal hook-up...you may want to call Tech Support and let them help you to be on the safe side

Thanks Michael I'll give it a look see tomorrow.

Anthony

That is all connected properly.

Thanks

Hi Anthony,

Were you able to get things going yet? (It's almost the weekend!)

Call the fine folks at ShopBot if you're still having trouble...they are always there for us!

Can you put the VFD in local control using the LO/RE button? You can start the spindle there afterward, so be careful.

Found out that not all double pole breakers are the same. Got the one I actually need and it works fine. Now I've got a ton of scraps to practice on.

Anthony