Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Get It Lined Up!

Default Let's Get It Lined Up!

Need some help...I have follow the advice of some of the best on the forum...but I am still crippled...can't figure this out. I have a PRS 48x96 with a 4HP spindle. I recent weeks i have pulled the drive motors on the x and y, (not the z), checked the pinions, cleaned them, greased them, reinstalled the motors, re-aligned the z to 0 degrees in all directions (although I did not check after the cut)...so here I am...my problem started when I made a oval cribbage board - I profile cut the beveled edge with a 90 degree bit -cutting "on the line" and then did a profile cut out of the the cribbage board on the same vector "outside" the line...you see the results...after the board was cut and problems became evident, I re-aligned the z and then cut a series of of shapes. beveling the edge, and cutting out (not all the way through)...the bevel is not consistent, and the cut-out does not follow the same line...HELP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

What bit are you using to cut out, are you getting some deflection ? Have you tried a larger bit at a slower speed on cut out to rule out any bit deflection you may be getting. I've had bit deflection issues with 1/4 inch tooling in the past.

I have been cutting out with a 0.25 bit...are you suggesting moving up to a .05 bit??? (next largest bit available)???
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

I use 3/8 bits or .375 for cutting since having deflection issues with 1/4". onsrud 60-121 is what I normally cut with with great results.

Assssuming the spoilboard if surfaced and level,,, and the material is perfect thickness all the way across, bit deflection or machine deflection seem present.

If the V bit is slipping in the collet, it could cause it to look that way to some extent.

Conventional or climb cutting could make a difference as well.

As for using the same vector for the center line of the v bit and cut out, I would suggest you make an offset vector and overlap those two cuts a little, removing the need for perfection.
    Kenneth

Check that the bottom 2 v-rollers on the YZ car are completely seated on the bottom rail. BOTH sides...If not, adjust them and check & recheck v-roller to rail tightness every move you make. Not too tight...not too loose. Dropping the Y motor helps to get the right feel.

Table/material are flat enough, right?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the suggestions...I will be back in the shop tonight and put these to the task...one thing I have discovered after speaking directly to a few of the botters out there is that although I have not run my machine a lot in the last 4 years, nevertheless I have use it and I believe I have neglected the maintenance that should be done periodically...shame on me! In the Army we had a PM schedule, regardless of what the equipment was...I think I have been a bit lazy in keeping it up - cleaning rails, pinions, rack etc and then lubricating. I will report back in the next day or so as to my success...love this forum!
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Dick,

How are you holding these down? A deep cut with a V bit creates a very large side force as it whacks the side of the cut. Think impact driver.

The next time you try this, trace the outline of the material onto your spoilboard. Check the outline after the piece is done. It takes little effort and can eliminate one of the possible sources of the problem.

Paul Z

I'll do that Paul...for small pieces I use screws to hold the piece down.
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Default You Tell Me...

OK, I checked the bottom rollers on the yz and they were good, the pinions and racks are greased, (although there must be an easier way), I surfaced a 24"x12" section of the table took a scrap piece of plywood, screwed it down and cut an oval - the 90 degree beveled edge was offset by 0.02 out and down, cut on that offset line and then did a profile cutout (only 0.5" into the board) with a 0.5" cutter outside the original oval line...the results are here for your comments - I think it came out great...more tests tomorrow. Is there anyone out there that has a maintenance schedule that they use that you would share with me? I need lists, and follow them well - without them, I go 4 years without greasing my pinions and rack! Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5