Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first three signs

Default My first three signs

Here is my first sign. I made it for my wife's bead store. The only reason I ended up making it was that the sand blasting guy could get the mask cut in a timely fashion. So I just decided to buy a band saw and do it myself. I dont have a "bot" yet, but I hope to get one soon.

I used all Porter Acrylic Latex paints except for the silver highlights. It is made of ceder mostly. The ball/"beads" were wood spheres from a crafts supply store. The dragon fly wings and end tail are made from copper ground wire. This sign has gotten me my next two jobs.

Ryan Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Second sign

This next two signs were for Big Woods Gallery and Big Woods Village. They are both similar but the Village is a 2'x 4' sign. I had to put up the village sign before I was able to finish the other stores placards underneath. I am getting close to finishing those and I will post a completed project photo when I have it.

These are made with Pine backer boards. The face and hair are made of various hard woods. The letters are made of aspen (this was all started before I found you wonderful people who share soo much info. I definitely would use different material for the letters now.) For the eyes and mouth I used a crushed stone inlay technique that I use on jewelry pendants) I used Aventurine and Turquoise for the eyes and red coral for the lips.

I now have at least 3-4 more jobs in the wings thanks to these signs.

Feel free to give any feed back, it will be very appreciated. I have learned soo much in the past week since i have found this site. Thanks again from a newbie.

Ryan Allen

The Curiosity Works
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ryan,

I wouldn't change nothing. All of these signs are refreshing. The're classic Art Craft types much like the Hobo Crafts of the 1940's. Another similar movement was the Hippie's of the 1970's. EXCELLENT!

I think you're going to find maintenance will be a consideration for two reasons. First, there are some area's where water may stand, the second is the type of wood used. Even so I wouldn't let these considerations alter the designs.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Crumley
    www.nromansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 04-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks Joe. Your praise is very much appreciated. These signs reside in the small tourist art village of Nashville, IN. Much of the existing signage in the area consists of sandblasted signs. I wanted to really step away from that look and try to think about how they might have been made 50 - 100 years ago. I enjoy making these by hand, but boy is it time consuming. I really like the idea and look of pocketed letters, but cant come up with an efficient way to do it with out a cnc or laser. I hope to start adding layers and texture to future projects.

Thanks again,

Ryan

The Curiosity Works

Ryan,

Pocketed letters are a specific look and I'm not sure that technique would help much with your signs.

Sometimes letters that are surface mounted should look just that way. I've seen alphabets made with sticks and brad nailed to the surface that looked good. I don't have a market for the Arts & Craft look but wish I did. It would be fun.

The only caution I have is, don't let the computer take the Soul out of your signs. I see it happening all over the place.

Joe Crumley

Very impressive!

I have done a couple of 'hand done' signs and what I did was to hand draw the artwork, then took a digital picture of the artwork and used Aspire to do the vectors for the cutouts. After that it was an automated ShopBot project that cutout the 'hand done' letters. Also with Aspire you can pocket those 'hand done' letters. I do a little pocket = .01 just so I know where the 'hand done' letters are supposed to go! Keep up the good work and go ahead and order your machine, you'll love it! Russ

Ryan, I'm gonna second Russ. Go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase a Bot. Your hand-sawn signs are great, but a CNC will make it much easier and faster for you.

You will find that the machine only does what it's told by whatever program you choose (Aspire, Artcam, EnRoute, Signlab, etc.), and the program only does exactly what YOU tell it to. You will be the Master and Commander.

Whatever you do, don't loose the feel you have for the kind of designs you are doing. I agree with Joe,...they are refreshing and different.

You have a gift. Make the most of it.
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Looking real good. Nice job.

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I really enjoy making signs. It makes me feel proud that my artwork is out there for all to see. how long did it take before you were comfortable/good enough to put out work that could be hung. Im just a little concerned about the learning curve. Its been 17 years since I've done any cnc work.