Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ER 25 collets

Default ER 25 collets

I ordered two Techniks ER 25 1/4" collets from a vendor and received two collets with no identification marks other than 1/4". When questioned the vendor claims the no-name collets are made by T-Tool in Germany and the Techniks are Chinese. The vendor admitted the warehouse pulled the wrong p/n and have offered an exchange. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by fredtoo View Post
    I ordered two Techniks ER 25 1/4" collets from a vendor and received two collets with no identification marks other than 1/4". When questioned the vendor claims the no-name collets are made by T-Tool in Germany and the Techniks are Chinese. The vendor admitted the warehouse pulled the wrong p/n and have offered an exchange. What would you do?
    Try them out? I bought some extras and in different sizes. They all seem to work the same to me. Long term, I dont know as I have only had my router 2 months.

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by fredtoo View Post
    What would you do?
    1) Send them back.

2) Order the correct ER25 Fractional collets from either ShopBot or Precision Drive Systems.

El cheapo collets or collets that do BOTH fractional and metric, are a BIG no-no on HSD & Colombo spindles. There is not enough thread to fully collapse these collets, and you will add your name to the list of people who found this out the hard way...by needing to use a cut off wheel to cut the nut off of the end of the spindle because you can't get it back off again...even with a cheater bar.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    1) Send them back.

2) Order the correct ER25 Fractional collets from either ShopBot or Precision Drive Systems.

El cheapo collets or collets that do BOTH fractional and metric, are a BIG no-no on HSD & Colombo spindles. There is not enough thread to fully collapse these collets, and you will add your name to the list of people who found this out the hard way...by needing to use a cut off wheel to cut the nut off of the end of the spindle because you can't get it back off again...even with a cheater bar.

-B
    So how do you know if you have a collet that does "both"? I bought some collets through a reputable supplier up here in Canada I purchase tooling from, and they sent me some exactly like the shopbot ones, and one that was branded differently (I needed a 3/8 collet). It works fine - but how does one know if you have one of the collets you shouldnt be using?

AJC

Fractional sizes will have '3/8' stamped or laser engraved on the large end of the collet. Same with 'universal' collets, but they will say either 3/8-10 on them or 9-10mm. The really cheap ones may indeed say 3/8 on the end, but the shank to collet fit will either be too tight or loose compared with the 1/4 and 1/2 collets that came with your spindle.

It's very enticing to buy a whole set of fractional collets at a cheap price thinking, "What the heck...I'll only use them from time to time anyway" - rather than paying $20+ for just one proper collet. I'm not saying that you can't get lucky or be OK with the cheaper ones...I am saying that it is really hard to tell if you are going to run out of thread before fully collapsing the collet before you go too far...So keep that in mind if you do try one of the cheaper ones.

I've been called out on several occasions to 'help get my collet nut off!' - and I did this in my own shop several years ago. It's not fun...So I am hoping to head off anyone that might get into this situation themselves because it isn't pleasant - especially if you are in the middle of production!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Just recieved a 3/8" ordered from Magnate -Anyone know if these are OK? Collet box says made in Taiwan. Stamped 3/8" and measures exactly that w/digital caliper. Paid $35 + S/H.

Jeff

Just compare it to your existing collets. If you chuck it up and tighten down your existing collets, does the new one feel similar when it is chucked up and snugged?

If it seems like a lot of turns on the nut to get it to grip the tool, then don't use it. It is probably fine.

-B

Just before this was posted I bought some nuts, a wrench and collets from an Ebay seller.

I did purchase some extra collets and nuts from a tooling supplier here in Canada, the nuts were $70 and the collets $35. Brand was the same as what I received with the spindle from SHopbot.

The brand I bought on ebay is "Shars". Three nuts, at about $10/each. The machining looks very good, and they work just fine. The wrench is heavier duty than the supplied one from shopbot with a molded vinyl handle (which makes changed much easier on the hand/palm). I think the wrnch was also about $10.

I got a set of collets in 1/8 to 1/2" in 1/32 increments. They came yesterday. Today I took a good look at them, they are indeed incremental (ie, that 1/4" marked is actually a slip fit for the 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2 are the same)
    The others I dont really have a need for yet but for the whole set was less than buying three separate collets.

Again the machining looks very good, and there are no burrs or roughness. Tried some today as I was making some signs. No problems.

I think the separate collets are something like $10/pc.

LOng term I will see what lasts longer. I will try and use them all the same amount of time.

AJC

As a hobby machine I don't put near the strain or use that most of you do but I have had excellent luck with a set of er25 collets I got from Micro-Mark. When I got mine they were on sale but right now they are $110 for a set of 15! That's only $7.33 each. They work great for my uses. Russ

http://www.micromark.com/er25-collet...hank,9730.html

PS I didn't need or use the r8-shank but at the price I didn't care!

Ill buy the R8 part off of you if you want to sell it... I have a Mill with an R8 quill and then I could use my ER25 collets in that

AJC