Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHAT A BUMMER

I'd actually like the option of a small amber strobe light atop the spindle carriage that blinks when the spindle is running.

Brett,
    Here's a setup used by Mike Snowden in Northern California. His two PRT's are both equipped with these amber strobe lights as he runs the machines in a high school workshop environment, and there is always a lot going on. This way people know that the machine in is operation.
    21008.jpg

That's perfect. We have instances where the operator hits "OK" when prompted to start the spindle w/out actually starting the spindle. Then he can't figure out why the thing doesn't plunge into the material and stalls instead...

Sometimes a sudden break in power will let the spindle "coast" instead of bringing it to a quick, controlled stop. If that happened and you were relying on a strobe that only showed power state, you could get a nasty surprise. I put alternating dots of red and white paint on the collet nut to make it easier to see when the spindle is turning.

Our bit and collet are completely obscured by the custom dust collection skirt. At present, the primary concern is the safety of the bit, collet, spindle and material from the actions of the operator instead of the norm.

Our operators never touch the business end of the machine. The supervisor is called to check/change a bit, etc. He gets paid to be careful.

Even the Z-Zero is automated. I laminated a 3"x3" square of unetched printed circuit board near the 0,0 point and modified the zeroing program to pick a random point in that area and run completely automatically. No user intervention at all.

Does anyone know Mike's email, I would love to add the strobe light to our bot and was wondering if he might give us some pointers.

Jeff

Jeff,
    I've sent you the address off line, but since Mike is a school teacher he may not have access to that in box until school is back in session in a few weeks...

That depends on where one lives...school started today here in the South