Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Engraving Job

Default Aluminum Engraving Job

Hello all! I have a need for some engraving done on 80 separate pieces of aluminum the size of each piece varies but maintains a height of 2" - 3". These are going to be basic names engraved .125" deep into .5" and 1" thick aluminum. I am looking for someone local (I am in Fort Lauderdale Florida) so that we can work out a way to deliver the pieces that need to be engraved. OR I would like to see if anyone local would like to possibly come and assist me with doing this project at our location. We have a 4' x 8' Shopbot and I am very new to working with it. My higher ups are willing to work out arrangements for time spent and hotel arrangements if necessary If you send me your email I can forward over samples for reference, thank you for your time!

Josh-you can do this yourself on your machine. You need the right quality bit, some cooling lube, and make sure you always ramp into your part. Hold down is a huge part of the deal. The slightest part movement will blow your project.
    Since Brady has been active lately he can chime in with some feed/speed advice.
    You should remind us of your machine and router/spindle model for more precise advice.
    There is also a couple laser guys who cut logo's and letters into aluminum in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Josh-you can do this yourself on your machine. You need the right quality bit, some cooling lube, and make sure you always ramp into your part. Hold down is a huge part of the deal. The slightest part movement will blow your project.
    Since Brady has been active lately he can chime in with some feed/speed advice.
    You should remind us of your machine and router/spindle model for more precise advice.
    There is also a couple laser guys who cut logo's and letters into aluminum in the area.

Thanks Dave! As stated I am still in the over demanding learning process with bits, speeds hold down etc. I have a 4' x 8' ShopBot with a PRTAlpha spindle controller. Not sure if there is more information I can post just let me know if there is!

The only problem I see is that it is small enough that you will need a very small bit and cutting .125 deep may not work or you will end up with a 1/16" or smaller line that is .125 deep. a 2f carbide endmill 1ips 14k .01 to .02 per pass ramped in will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    The only problem I see is that it is small enough that you will need a very small bit and cutting .125 deep may not work or you will end up with a 1/16" or smaller line that is .125 deep. a 2f carbide endmill 1ips 14k .01 to .02 per pass ramped in will do it.
    Can anyone refer me to a tutorial regarding Ramping, I have absolutely no idea what this does or its purpose for routing. Thank you for all the tips Steve!

what software are you using? when you create the toolpath there is a tab for ramping. I forgot you want the plunge rate at .5ips and say a .5" smooth ramp
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ping&sa=Search

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    what software are you using? when you create the toolpath there is a tab for ramping. I forgot you want the plunge rate at .5ips and say a .5" smooth ramp
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ping&sa=Search
    I am using Vcarve 6.0 at the time and know the ramping tab I just never used it before. I will attempt to engrave on some scrap I have, what is a reccomendation for a bit? I believe Steve said 2Flute Upcut Spiral Bit maybe .125" CED? Sorry once again I am learning as I go and appreciate all the help with this project.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSignStudio View Post
    I am using Vcarve 6.0 at the time and know the ramping tab I just never used it before. I will attempt to engrave on some scrap I have, what is a reccomendation for a bit? I believe Steve said 2Flute Upcut Spiral Bit maybe .125" CED? Sorry once again I am learning as I go and appreciate all the help with this project.

Well here is the results of my first attempt, not the best outcome but it is try number one. This Running a 2 Flute Solid Carbide .25" Bit at 1ips - .5Plunge - .02" Pass Depth a Ramp of .5" & Spindle RPM at 14000 any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pull your speed down to .7 on XY and use a coolant. I like rubbing or denatured alky. Don't over-do it on the coolant. No dust collection if you use the alky(!). Increase depth of cut to .04-.06 per pass - only if you have a spindle. If you can get away with a 3/8" cutter, or larger, do it as there will be less tool deflection and less swirls at the bottom surface...plus less deflection at direction changes. Looks like the bit walked on the 1st pass of the lower right stroke of the letter 'A'.

The alloy you are ultimately going to be cutting, not the scrap/test piece, is what you need to focus on.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

When you guys machine aluminum, why not purchase metal working cutters? (vs using cutters designed for cutting wood and composites)

I do metal work as a hobby. I purchase special end mills strictly for aluminum (they are HSS) that cut amazing. I dont know what it is about the geometry of the cutter - they look the same to my eye as all my other end mills for steel - but man, they certainly work 100% better when cutting any aluminum alloy, or raw aluminum.

ALso, how low an rpm can the HSD spindles be run?

AJC