Thread: Looking for a hint...DXF Import.

Default Looking for a hint...DXF Import.

Hello all.
    I have ordered a buddy and am cramming prior to its arrival.
    I use Sketchup Pro to create multi part structural assemblies in 3d.
    I have done so for years and like having that tool on my belt as it's use is 2nd nature to me now.

Normal procedure for me it to "blow" the completed assembly apart into its components, lay all of the components flat on plane, and finally refine components.

Then I print measured prints and take them into the workshop to sweat over.

Now, with the Buddy coming, I really want to export individual, component specific 2d DXF files to Partworks.

I have used all of the advice found here and am able to produce DXF that are clean after import to Partworks. I Feel good about the workflow...and glad that it appears that i can keep using Sketchup to desing as i am used to.

So here is the problem. My vectors are not the same size in Partworks as they were in Sketchup. Sometimes larger, sometimes smaller (maybe an inch or so over a ten inch part. Should be 10" and is 11.something after import.
    Not a consistent variance.

I have searched this forum and have not seen a discussion of the problem
    (so it must be me I suppose...no surprise there...i dont mind being the new guy no matter how old I get. It makes me feel young again).

I use inch decimal in Sketchup...and that is what I see in partworks.

So...any hint as to how to get dimensional correct exports to Partworks from Sketchup? I always assume operator error before anything else...and am hoping it is something I am doing wrong.

Thought*...maybe i should try PDF or some other export/import avenue?

In any event...thanks for reading. I will be here often.

Mike P

I think it is just the nature of importing. I have exported things in partworks in dxf and opened them up and they were not the right size. Just draw a rectanle around the pars and use that to size them. vectored pdf files from my sign customers always com in the right size.

First of all, are you using SketchUp's Export options or are you using a plugin? I've had issues with the Pro dxf export feature not being accurate. Second, try switching to fractional inch in sketchup prior to export.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Default Thanks to both...

Did a test with PDF export and it worked fine. Thanks!
    --------------------------
    I was using the stock Pro exporter.
    Is there any benefit to exporting DXF over PDF?
    I will do an experiment with fractional inch DXF export just for knowledge sake.

Thanks again.

PS...just got the email from Dianne that my bot will be ready for pickup
    next Friday! I love new tools.

Default scale

Not sure how your lines change size in the export. But for reference you could draw say a 15 inch line in the y direction which is a bit larger than your longest y linework.

From there, when you export/ import the linework you can check the 15 inch reference line to see if it is proper. If not scale all the linework so your reference line ends up 15 inches.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I have found less then smooth curves or really choppy curves on the pdf export. but I think that's fixed with going to a higher resolution.

I export as EPS rather than DXF as I find with most applications that EPS comes into Partworks cleaner and with beziers (where the source application supports them) intact.

There's always a fair bit of cleaning up to do with a Sketchup import due to the way it makes curves and circles out of straight lines. Fortunately the "fit curves to selected vectors" tool in Partworks makes short work of that these days.