Thread: Control computer

Default Control computer

I know there are a gazillion computer desktops out there. But i need a recomendation on one to run my buddy, including processor, ram, etc. Any suggestions.

i use a dell latitude laptop d630 and have had no problem it has 2 gigs of ram, 2.0 ghz processor speed. it runs so smooth and if the power shuts off on the computer it still runs we had a powerstrip die and turn off during a project and the battery lasted another 2 hours for the machine to finish
    "Broke college kid making Chainmail"

Copy of what I replied on the Vectric forum to the same question.
    -----
    The main thing is that you don't really need anything particularly powerful to run a CNC. I run my ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48 on a Dell Optiplex 745, intel core 2 duo with 2gb memory that cost me about £75 to buy over a year ago. Before that I was running happily on a single CPU celeron machine but the RAM failed on that one.

I run Windows XP on it as there's no need for anything more. If you want to run a more modern version of Windows then you may need a more powerful PC for that.

The most important thing is to make sure that you don't have lots of background programs running on the PC trying to take resources away from the job of controlling the CNC. PC's at this level are so cheap it's best to leave it to do one task and one task only.

Default i hope i am good to go

I AM KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED.
    The old computer that i have is a dell 8250 that is dedicated solely to the shopbot. the only two other things plugged into usb, other then the bot, are the mouse and small speaker. I run black vipers bare bone settings. I found this morning that the computer usb that is plugged into the shopbot might be defective. i changed the usb that i use and am running a complete rerun of a file that i had problems with yesterday. for you shopbot owners a speed test was run on this new connection and is at 73 %. so hopefully i was premature in looking for a new desktop.
    thanks for the replies

http://www.pcexchange.com/Lenovo-Thi...-m55p-s011.htm

I have been using a lenovo thinkcenter mp55 8808, with a 1.86ghz core 2 duo processor, and 1gb of ram, and XP Pro.

So far this has been working out just fine. I bought this for $150.00. I would avoid buying a Dell, unless you already have
    one that you want to try.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

garyc Guest

The Soon to be Updated ShopBot Specs:

ShopBot Computer Requirements:

-- You need a PC that is running Windows XP/Vista/Win7 (recommended version: Home Premium/ Business or higher). At minimum: 2 Ghtz Pentium Dual Core, 1.66 Ghtz I3 or equivalent, 1.66 Ghtz Core I5 and dedicated video RAM greater than 512K if using for 3D design.

Control Computer Minimum RAM Requirements: (more is better)

With Win XP:
    with SB3.4.xx or 3.5.xx versions alone 512K
    with SB3.6.xx alone 1GB (minimum), 2GB (recommended)
    If 3D cutting, using Aspire or SB Link 2GB (minimum) (more will perform better)

Vista or Win7:
    with 3.6.xx 2GB (minimum)
    with3D cutting, Aspire or SB Link 4GB (minimum), 6GB will perform better

Cutting 3D files, adding an Indexer, or using the Control Computer for design work will mandate that you follow the highest recommended specs above.

Graphics display 1024x768 for the shop (this resolution optimally uses screen). For your design computer (if you use a separate computer), a resolution of 1280 x 1024 or higher will work well.

You will need at least 1 USB 2.0 port for the ShopBot USB connection. An additional port is required for a spindle speed controller. This is in addition to any mouse, keyboard, printer or other USB peripherals you may require ports for. You should also have an open USB port to transfer cutting files from the design computer if you will not be networked.

Adobe Reader is required to access the included Help files from ShopBot software, PartWorks and Aspire.

For control use, a “clean install” of the operating system is the best. This ensures that no 3rd party software has been installed that may interrupt the data stream to the ShopBot Controller.
    >end of published specs<

Notes:
    Some computers require the addition of a USB 2.0 PCI card to achieve proper comm rates. Some computers are problematic with wireless or wired networks enabled.

The Assembly manual instructs you on a number of items (user accounts, security, screen saver, power, firewall, antivirus, etc...) that must be disabled to ensure proper SB3 installation and reliable communication. On many branded computers there are also numerous applications that have been installed that are known to be problematic. These application, especially those that connect to the internet should be uninstalled.

Default thanks gary

i got a little lucky, apparently it was the usb connection. i changed usb connections, speed test at 73, about 8-9 cuttings of 3d files with no problems. even though i am running fine a new control computer might be on the horizon.