Thread: Marketing craft/decor type items

Default Marketing craft/decor type items

I asked this in another thread but it kinda got lost in the discussion...Have any of you used etsy.com or another web based service to market craft/decor type items? If so I'm interested in your results positive or negative.

Thanks

Steve

I used ebay many years ago to moderate success, but it got crowded with others doing the same types of things.

I play with etsy.com which is a neat little site. Biggest issues i find are the other people on the site. It's a bit cut throat wherein they'll re-list their items if you have something similar because searches are based on most recent listings. They will also drop their prices drastically just to undercut you. I haven't had very many sales through the site. Until you break the feedback barrier it's pretty tough. With that said, it's also rather inexpensive.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I do 100% of my business on etsy. I am backed up about a month. I average 1-3 orders a day. I have to give credit to my wife though. She knows this site better then she knows me she has figured out the search side and it allows us great rankings.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jzarski1 View Post
    I do 100% of my business on etsy. I am backed up about a month. I average 1-3 orders a day. I have to give credit to my wife though. She knows this site better then she knows me she has figured out the search side and it allows us great rankings.

John
    Good to hear, does she have any tips for us?

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I'd also love to hear.

I had stuff on Etsy for a while too but I found that the only sales I got were ones from cusomers I had talked to in person/over email that I directed there to buy. So I have since just moved my sales to a personal site and save the transaction fees. I love the idea of an etsy or the like. I got great sales from the Maker's market/BoingBoing Bazaar for the short time it lasted so I would love to find a similar venue.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

I tried Etsy early on, but got so many offers to send me a million dollars and I take out the price of my item and send them back the rest that I got tired of dealing with it. Maybe it's improved and it's time to look at it again.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

I have a friend who makes a living as a glass blower, and he sold a few pieces through Etsy without any complaints.

The listing fee is so inexpensive, you might as well give it a try, and see if it works out for you. I have an account setup, and I have not bothered to try it.

One critical nuance with Etsy is that regardless whether you love, or hate PayPal, you will have a hard time selling anything if you do not use it.

Craft type items are not my focus, but I do sell some locally, and I will emphasize a key point here through a small art gallery.

Anybody can sell on Ebay or Etsy, and most craft or flea markets will welcome every person who is willing to pay for a table. The barrier to entry is either very small or non existent. That attracts anybody, and I mean everybody who wants to sell something in their spare time.

I am also pretty confident that there are people who enjoy the entertainment factor sitting in front of the computer, and re-listing items on ebay or etsy as if it were some sort of computer game.

By all means try these sites. Maybe you will do well. You just have to see for yourself.

However, I would also suggest seeking more exclusive ways to sell your products, that do have a barrier to entry. 100% of my sales result from meeting people face to face, and networking within my community.
    Last edited by michael_schwartz; 04-29-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

I want to thank all who contributed here... Personally, I don't want to play games, I just want to offer my goods for sale where people who appreciate what I can do will see it. What I had thought about marketing on etsy were cremation urns, a product not suitable for art galleries or craft fairs... After looking at much of the 4000 urns offered on etsy I think I can offer mine direct to crematoriums and they can mark them up 100% and still be competitive. Michael has suggested more than once that art galleries might be a better outlet for my better quality items, and I'm going to pursue that route. When I find what's successful, I'll let every one know...

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the only way to see if a site like Esty would work, is to simply give it a try for a few weeks. I doubt its right for everybody. It is impossible to know without trying. I am sure it requires effort, since the only easy way to make money in the grand scheme of things, is to get lucky.

Marketing requires just as much hard work, as any other job. Don't be discouraged when ideas don't pan out.

There is no substitute for getting to know people. Building personal connections with businesses, and other organizations is just as important. This ground work can put you in the right place, at the right time for things to fall into place. Its probably better to be your self, and not try to be a salesman.

Advertising works in an odd way. To some people it is essential, and others see it as less important. In some cases it can be a waste of money. I know an electrical contractor that gets the majority of their new customers, from business cards placed on bulletin boards. The way I see it is that there is nothing wrong with advertising, if it is done as a complementary effort, to Marketing, and not as a substitute.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.