Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfacing question

Default Surfacing question

Greetings all,
    I am new to the shopbot and surfaced the spoil board on my used PRS Alpha or the first time today. At all of the corners other than the x-0 y-0 corner I got these little triangles at each pass. Has anyone had this problem or might be able to tell me what is wrong?
    Thanks
    JB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Set your stepover percentage to 15% or 20% when you make your flattening file...or it will do what you show.

Also - check that your spindle is dead square to the table...looks like you've got a few 'steps' from the spindle/router being a little off kilt. You may have to remove the spindle & spindle plate to properly square it up. It's a little bit of a pain, but once you dial it in, it's good forever.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady. I only had it set at 10% for a step over. Also, it has slight lines on all the passes along the x-axis but the ones going along the y-axis are smooth as can be. Is that what you are speaking about concerning the spindle being a bit out of square? Any suggestions were to look for the process of doing this?
    JB

Read my post & See if this helps: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14893

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the help!
    JB

I just make a tool in my database for the flattening bit and create a pocketing profile. I have several at different depths so it is fast to setup. I think I have a 50% stepover and I make the rectangle larger then my table so the bit goes past the edges.

I use a 1 1/4" bit from Dimar to flatten my table. Don't recal what stepover I had, but it left the little triangles (although they were pretty tiny).

A quick swipe with a sharp chisel and in seconds they were gone.

I know... I could have made the stepover smaller, but why let the router run for several more minutes when I can do it "old school" quicker? Blasphemy!

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    A quick swipe with a sharp chisel and in seconds they were gone.

I know... I could have made the stepover smaller, but why let the router run for several more minutes when I can do it "old school" quicker? Blasphemy!

AJC
    Its funny you mention that. I used to use a stiff card scraper to remove them before I figured out that I needed to reduce the step over.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Another way to make sure your spindle is 90 degrees to the table is to install a long cutter,long shank preferably, and zero a wixey gauge to the table. Stick it on the shank and hopefully it will read 90 degrees. Then turn the shank 90 degrees and take another reading. I used a this piece of paper as a shim to get my spindle right on. Been perfect ever since!!!

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

John,
    What size bit are you using to surface the top?