Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting miters

Default cutting miters

I have a 11 year old PRTstandard with the V4g upgrade. I am using Part Works 3.0 to write my files. I am working on some a couple of things that I will be producing quite a bit of. Is it possible to write a file to do a miter cut with the miter facing up? Basically the router would have to make a Z movement at the same time as a X and a Y. If so how would I do it?

Tommy,
    Yes - It is possible to do this. If you can post a pic or explain more, that would help to nail down a solution. The toolpathing software makes all the difference, although there are ways to manually program this type of move, depending on how complex the operation is.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

crown 8 piece.pdf

0404121138.jpg

Hopefully this will help. This will be assembled like the hand drawn picture but will be the shape of the PDF pic. so basically I will be putting together 8 pieces to make the crown that I am building. let me know what other info you need.

Tommy

I'm not sure I have a good understanding of what you're doing... But , will a 90° V- bit do what you want?

Steve

I dont beleive so, the material thickness will be .75" so I believe the V bit CL would have to be that .75" to work. which maybe they make? im not sure. I could look into it.

No, not at all! by using a V-Carve tool path the software will step down any size bit to form your miter.

Steve

I created some pictures to better illustrate what I perceive you're trying to do...

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

how do you do it in partworks? ive not used any V bits so that is very new to me.

Tommy

I'll show how I work with V-carving as abbreviated as possible... I'm working on a V-carve talk to share at next years Austin camp ShopBot, It's 45 pages long right now (yikes). Feel free to ask additional questions!

1. V-carving is not just cutting with a V-bit. V-carving uses closed vectors to control the depth of the cut (see Illustration 1).

2. You can create offset vectors to cut through your material by using a chart or calculating the offset necessary for your angle of V-bit. If, like in your case only a small section is V-cut, you create the closed vector that will do what you want... (illustration 2)

3. Create your tool paths using V-carve path generator tool it brings up a menu with many options... for now just be sure the correct bit is chosen (illustration 3)

4. Cut the parts! I've shown some ideas I use frequently... A profile with beveled edges and a fold up box. the 4X4X6 box will fold up and with tape on the joints like hinges while gluing, grain patterns flow from one panel to the next. Lots easier than cranking the blade over on the table saw! ( illustration 4)

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've done this before without the V carving. You can just draw line vectors and offset. What you need to do is draw a line where you want the miter to begin then offset it the cut depth you want or can achieve with the v bit. Say it's .5" The line that was created with the offset's cut depth would be .5" for example. Next offset you can set at 1". Keep in mind pass depth when you do this as well. Each offset will double the depth @ 90 Deg.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.