Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Box with live edge

Default Box with live edge

Here's something I made yesterday... When I was adding some wood to my "kiln" (the attic of my storage building) I noticed that a good size batch of Osage Orange (Boise d' Ark for Texans) had been drying more than long enough... I was looking for a project to try my new Onsrud 1/2" rougher/finisher on ... Wow! I hogged out the material from the inside of this box without any splintering and almost no sanding. I'm pleased with both the box and the bit purchased on eBay for a fraction of it's value.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love that box, Steve! Beautiful! What's the part # of that Onsrud bit you used?

Awesome!

Paul Z

The bit is V-MAX69-084, a part # I didn't find in their catalog... when asked Fred at http://stores.ebay.com/LMT-Onsrud-Ro...its-and-Blades said "This tool is very similar to our 60-300 series tool so you could use the same chip loads."

CED Chipload

3/8 .024 - .026
    ½ .026 - .028
    5/8 .028 - .030
    ¾ .030 - .032

Did I say I'm very pleased!!!

Steve

Steve what will you do to keep the bark from chipping off?

I'm pleased to see someone shares my appreciation for Osage Orange, Horse Apple.

It's such a hard wood I've made several chisel handles from it. How large is your box and how much would you sell it for.

Joe Crumley

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    The bit is V-MAX69-084, a part # I didn't find in their catalog... when asked Fred at http://stores.ebay.com/LMT-Onsrud-Ro...its-and-Blades said "This tool is very similar to our 60-300 series tool so you could use the same chip loads."

CED Chipload

3/8 .024 - .026
    ½ .026 - .028
    5/8 .028 - .030
    ¾ .030 - .032

Did I say I'm very pleased!!!

Steve
    I got a few of those too, from Fred. Very nice!

I love woodworking stuff with the live edges. I havent done much myself, as all we have up here is black spruce, and pine trees, and poplar and some birch. But nothing grows big enough to make anything other than construction lumber from.

Very nice project!

AJC

I get a lot of my lumber salvaging storm damaged trees from the urban forests of Dallas county... The wood is usually cut into manageable size and put on the curb for the city to haul off, consequently I'm generally limited to pieces 2' or shorter in length. I band saw them into 1" and 2" slabs and put them in attic storage for at least 1year per inch of thickness. Sometimes the bark stays on ...often it doesn't. The Osage orange was felled in a winter storm, generally my finds are after spring storms, I don't know if that makes a difference but after nearly three years the bark is still tight. Before I determined the final size of this box, I rapped the bark vigorously with my hands and knocked some off, I also saturated the finished box bark in lacquer and even forced some Epoxy into an area I felt unsure of. I hope my efforts are enough and would like to hear if others have ideas on preserving the live edge intact! Woods generally available in my forest are: Oaks I avoid the Live oak species as any amount of curing is inadequate for the internal stresses it develops, Osage orange, Mesquite, some non native maples and untold verities of ornamentals. I can have any amount of ornamental Pear as it was a favorite 20-25 years ago and many of them are reaching end of life. What's it worth? I don't know... I had planed to offer it in a friends home decor store for $50.00. any thoughts?

Steve
    Last edited by steve_g; 05-05-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Regarding osage orange, i have found that a lot of woodturners like to tun it for bowls and such. When i used to go to the meetings we would have a silent auction and i could buy chunks for a buck or two.
    Maybe i need to go back to the meeting and pick up some pieces.

Steve, I read somewhere that the bark will stay on if harvested in the winter. I think it was a wood turner forum as I was inspired by some live edge bowls and doing research.