Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box with live edge

We call it hedge apple where i live... big softball size seed pods... use them for eliminating crickets in garage and bugs around house... mostly we toss em up and let kids hit with baseball bat

Here's the group of live edge Osage Orange boxes I've been working on... I'm giving Joe Crumley the "pick of the litter". He had expressed admiration for the first one I made, even offering to pay for it. Giving one to Joe is the least I can do to express gratitude for all I've gleaned from him over the years... So, Thank you Joe And make your choice!

I've included a link to a PDF that thoroughly discusses the process of making live edge boxes... I can only hope that it helps someone else in the same spirit that Joe has freely and generously helped others!

Steve Glassel

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8G...zlwd0FPV29yODg
    For most reliable viewing... download the document to your own computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So steve if I tell you how nice your boxes are will i get one too?
    Just kidding...they are nice though.

What it did give me the idea to do is go back to our woodturners meetings that i haven't been to in a few years because guys bring in extra wood they have for a silent auction and you can usually pick up nice size chunks of all different types of wood for 2-3 dollars and i recall guys bringing in alot of osage orange. I think i remember them telling me that it was a real hard wood to turn and it dulled their tools.
    Keep making those nice boxes!

I just checked and we have a meeting tonite so i might bring back some stuff!
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 05-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Steve,Absolutely gorgeous boxes and an excellent write-up! Thanks for your time and sharing!
    Ron Sloan

Steve,

It's difficult to choose.

I'll take #3 if you'll sign the bottom and date.

Please send me a PM with your address and I'll send a check.

Joe

I have some various woods that i got from my sawmill buddy which were one of the first cuts on the bandsaw that some tend to have a "live edge" of bark on one edge or the other and for practical purposes he can't use because they need to be dimensional pieces so he gives them to me. I usually cut that edge off and use the smaller pieces for something but seeing Steve's use of them makes you think differently about it.

Speaking about a live edge we have a nutcracker bowl around here somewhere that is a full round log hollowed out (2 or 3" tall) that all the bark stayed on and i know it is at least 75 or 100 years old, so i'm sure his boxes will still look the same 100 years from now, too bad no one reading this will be around to confirm this fact!

I finally got them all shipped today... Between family and friends they were all claimed! I had an issue with the finish that slowed me down... Typically I put Bees wax as my final finish on my boxes. This time the bees wax never hardened, leaving me with a sticky, greasy finish. Not sure what I did different. Several days in the sun finally made it where I could buff them up to a nice warm glow.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I finally got them all shipped today... Between family and friends they were all claimed! I had an issue with the finish that slowed me down... Typically I put Bees wax as my final finish on my boxes. This time the bees wax never hardened, leaving me with a sticky, greasy finish. Not sure what I did different. Several days in the sun finally made it where I could buff them up to a nice warm glow.

SG
    The Bees must have unionized ....

Forgive my not remembering, but when i used to carve bowls on the lathe we had a 3 buffing wheel setup with "white diamond" and 2 other sticks you applied to the wheel then buffed your bowl with.
    I wonder if any of you turners would think you could use the same thing to finish your boxes or carvings with something like that? That might be an alternative for you steve

White diamond is a Metal polish containing wax and Rouge. Often wood turners use products like Carnauba wax or shellac and oil for finishes that would require LOTS of work were it not for the lathe spinning the project...

SG