Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Box with live edge

yes you applied the wax that came in a stick form to the spinning buffing wheel then put your project to the wheel. I think you could do the same with a box?

Steve,
    I woke up today and went out to get the mail and to my surprise I saw a package there and thought "oh man it's christmas!". I opened it up like a kid on christmas day going thru layer after layer of wrapping paper to get to the plastic covering where i saw my "present".

Now some people might say, "It's just a piece of wood!"....well people don't see what us woodworkers see. When you hold it up on it's side what I see is a collaboration between Mother Nature and the Artist. You can see a "slice" of the tree displaying at least 100 years of growth rings, the sap wood and finally a section of the bark. That was Mother Natures contribution to the project.
    Then the Artist took over with technology and just plain old woodworking skills turned what She has created into a work of art! After cutting out the insides to form the cavities of the box the finishing was done to carefully preserve the bark to the box giving it a beautiful sheen.

One thing I really like is the sound it makes....sound? A piece of wood does not make any sounds! Ahhh but you are wrong! The sound it makes when you open the lid about an inch and drop it and the two pieces meet is a sound of the wood telling you it approves of it's new life where it will live on for another hundred years as the heirloom for future generations to hold and wonder about the craftsman who made this!
    I appreciate that the artist signed his work however my plan was to show it to family members and tell them that I made it, but that was not to be....So to some it might just be a "piece of wood" to me it is a "work of art"....
    Thanks Steve

Steve,

My box came today and it's beautiful. I'll take a photo with it on my Live Edge table. It's such an attractive box I've decided it would be good for storing my gold leaf packets and 23K roll gold. I may also include a few packets of Mica.

Thanks again.

Joe Crumley

The last one is finally home... It was for my mom. My 86 year old mother has been collecting and using my projects since I was in grade school. From trivets, tables and chairs to wings added on the house, she is as excited about the last one as she was the first. No wonder I enjoy making things with a fan club like that!

SG