Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethics and handmade items.

Default Ethics and handmade items.

I've been in talks with a couple starting a small business making "handmade" children's toys. They want me to cut them out with the band saw and use my spindle sander to clean the parts up. Rest is up to them. They do NOT want me to use the cnc. I would have to clean up the details they want with the scroll saw if that were the case anyways. I know they wouldn't know the difference. The price they want to pay for the hand work is pretty low but would be worth my wile using the bot. A lot less sanding etc. makes a huge difference. Been there, finished orders by hand when my old machine was down constantly.

What would you guys do?
    Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Do not mislead them.
    I think they're nuts to care-the finished product on the 'Bot is better,
    but some people are weird.

But that's not a reason to deceive them.

It's either worth it to you or not.

Quote them X dollars on the CNC, Y dollars on bandsaw, let them make the choice and keep a clean conscience.

My 2 cents.

Brent

Yup...Price yourself out of doing them by hand...unless you enjoy working for slave wages.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

you need a different client.

I do this quite often. Ask the question and already know what i'm going to reply. I quoted them just under twice what they wanted to pay per set of parts. Funny thing is, on their little website pointing to Etsy and Facebook. It says that they're all made in their little shop with love and care etc etc etc. If that really were the case, why would they contact me?

I honestly do like to hear everyone's opinions on these things when i run into them. I honestly do know better then to take the hand work at their prices.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Quote Originally Posted by CNYDWW View Post
    I do this quite often. Ask the question and already know what i'm going to reply. I quoted them just under twice what they wanted to pay per set of parts. Funny thing is, on their little website pointing to Etsy and Facebook. It says that they're all made in their little shop with love and care etc etc etc. If that really were the case, why would they contact me?

I honestly do like to hear everyone's opinions on these things when i run into them. I honestly do know better then to take the hand work at their prices.

Regards
    Randy
    You might point out the reason they are hunting for someone other than themselves to do the work with "loving care in a little workshop", is because they've likely discovered that it's inefficient and unprofitable. If they are looking for someone to do the job for less than they are getting, then the job will need to be done more efficiently.

To me, "hand made" implies no power tools used. Coping or fret saw, hand sanding, etc. Chisels, planes, etc.

Once power tools are introduced, a product is no longer "hand made". At least not in my book.

I have argued in the past, with guitar players who want a "hand made instrument" and think some how CNC takes away from that...

What is the difference between a builder using a router, jigs and fixtures (often which are cnc made) to guide a router bit - and a cnc router? Not much. The skill of the operator to read the wood, and select the correct feed direction, speed, and tool bit. In each case. It is just that in one case, you dont need all the fancy jigs and fixtures.

In your case, Randy, I wouldnt lie. Tell them you will do it your way, with the cnc, and they can do the hand sanding, etc afterwards. If they dont want to accept that, then pay the higher price of cut on the band saw. if they dont want that, then they dont want it bad enough.

AJC

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

i took one of those last year and couldnt get back out fast enough

We have been asked this about the Stump's Puzzles. I always say that we assemble each one ourselves, which we do. I think of "Hand Made" as a carving or something made without power tools. We go with "assembled by hand" because I don't have the skill, patience, or time to make it all by hand.
    Miles Thormodson
    Custom Digifab
    "The Home of Stump's Puzzles"
    www.stumps-puzzles.com
    www.customdigifab.com
    www.routertemplate.net

What i do is say that the my products are made in the appalachian mountains of kentucky...technically all items that has to be hand sanded, hand fitted, and put together is hand made. When it is not hand made is when the machines do all the work... All of my products started out being hand made, my christmas ornaments was done on a scroll saw now i do them with a laser. My spoons were all hand turned then split and dipped out by hand.... Now they are turned on a dubl lathe, split and dipped out with the cnc... I still have to hand sand and finish each... The
    this is a major point... On sales... So to avoid telling a lie or misleading someone... I always... Say that they are made in the u.s. Or appalachian mountains.... Hence our company name appalachian mountain crafts.