Thread: Issue with Tabs

Default Issue with Tabs

I'm having an issue with tabs in that wherever I place a tab I get a slight groove in my part as the spindle lifts up to cut the tab. This groove requires sanding on an otherwise clean edge.

I've tried cutting the profile with two tool paths, the first down to the tab height without tabs and the second through the material with tabs, but the problem persists.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Thanks

i have issues with that all the time its the bit spending more tome cutting that section of wood
    could you post some pictures to see how bad it is
    "Broke college kid making Chainmail"

it is a problem. a very light finish pass can help. I cut this 1/2" single grain direction bamboo. I have to make two climb cuts and a very light climb cut pass to make it smooth. 3d tabs he;p but I don't like them as well. more work to clean up.
    another reason I don't use tabs on most things.

I'm glad its not me, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a problem with my buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by archis View Post
    I'm glad its not me, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a problem with my buddy.
    Just flex in the machine. spend 50k or so and it will go away (G)

Maybe a little extra sanding isn't so bad after all

I bought my bot off a man that owned a $1,000,000 cabinet shop with a $250,000 cnc router. It was supposed to be his "hobby" machine for his own garage. Was going to let the boys couts play with it. When he found out he had to put another $3k plus aspire he wanted, he decided it wasn't worth it and just uses his big machine with the auto zero, aluminum vacuum table, tool changer including circular saw head. It is also capable of running 8 spoil boards on a rotating system. Machine popped out a cut sheet on the spoil board, u pulled the parts and hit the button and it would roll off the other side, get flipped up and carried down. It was setting at an angle then another worker would clean it off with air and slide another piece of material onto it. Hit the button and it got layed back down on the other end of the machine ready to go. Kinda takes all the fun out of it, don't'cha think?
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Does anybody have any photos of a Brady vac setup with a buddy?

I'm looking for better ideas than mine, which was an elevated platform for the brady van with the vac hose on top of my standard spoiler board.

Quote Originally Posted by archis View Post
    I'm having an issue with tabs in that wherever I place a tab I get a slight groove in my part as the spindle lifts up to cut the tab. This groove requires sanding on an otherwise clean edge.

I've tried cutting the profile with two tool paths, the first down to the tab height without tabs and the second through the material with tabs, but the problem persists.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Thanks
    I use tabs on almost everything I cut, from 1/2" plywood to the 1 3/4" maple I have been making chair parts from. I generally leave .25 high by .5 wide tabs (non-3D) and I have never experienced this "notching".

I have used my buddy a lot in the past 2.5 months... almost daily for at least a few hours. It has absolutley zero slop (at least when I try and reef on either axis when its powered up, there is no flex in any axis).

But, I keep it spotlessly clean, and have started greasing the pinions regularly (every 2nd week). And I try and place the material I cut at different spots on the board as to try and give even wear to the racks - maybe that's going too far?

AJC

I'm noticing my issue on .7 to 1 inch oak with .125 h x .25 w inch tabs. My buddy probably has about 25 hours on it.
    Firewood is a good thing unless its bought by the board foot.