Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: back to chair making...

Quote Originally Posted by khalid View Post
    Looks cool Andrew. The price is too much for a single chair..You are lucky having rich purchaser in your community..
    It is not expensive relative to what is available retail, for a solid north American made hardwood chair. You can buy a lot of garbage here, as well, for 60 or 80 dollars made of wood I cannot even identify, imported from China, etc.

What I build is made to last a lifetime. So it's a bargain. People here appreciate that, luckily, which keeps myself and other woodworkers in business

AJC

Andrew very nice design and great work!

I think your chairs are a bargain at what is available out there.
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

Default bargain

Hi Andrew,
    I think its a bargain for good craftmanship.
    Leo

Thats what I hate about doing furniture or giving prices even reading some of the coments ITS NOT EXPENSIVE .People are use to puting there furniture togeter with a screw driver
    They look good you need a table with it

Andrew, Please don't mind my comments about the prices.. Actually 300 US dollar is a big amount in my country .. Sorry to hurt
    I left woodwork due to office work.

Quote Originally Posted by khalid View Post
    Andrew, Please don't mind my comments about the prices.. Actually 300 US dollar is a big amount in my country .. Sorry to hurt
    No problem. I completely understand your point. Everywhere in the world, the cost of things and the wage people make are vastly different.

Here, in Canada, we have a pretty good standard of living. In my area, there are many people who have good jobs and can afford to buy good quality items.

I have relatives living in Europe, who would have to spend two months' wages for one of my chairs. I understand where you are coming from.

And, I am seldom offended - trust me! No problems!

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Thats what I hate about doing furniture or giving prices even reading some of the coments ITS NOT EXPENSIVE .People are use to puting there furniture togeter with a screw driver
    They look good you need a table with it
    Kevin, I will be making a table to go with the set.

The customer is a good one of mine, who I have done plenty of work for in the past. And before that, my father did a lot of work for his parents. That is the nice thing around here, most of my work is for people I have known for a while. Benefit of a small community I guess..

AJC

Personally, I love the open clean design. But as I visualize usage I wonder is there enough front to back/side to side stability? I have some 250lb family and without any compression braces on the legs I have some fear. What do you think the safe limit is on the chair. I don't know and would like to get a feel from those here with the experience. It seems that if there were any lateral or leaning that the joint might fail. Can we keep the folks from rocking the chairs back or side to side?

It looks like 1/2" total lip and (dowel/pin/tenon/screw). Are there addl braces that aren't shown in the photos?

Since the front and rear legs are trapped in there respective lips ( for lack of a better term) the joint which appears to be weak is actually very strong.

Certainly, like every design, there is a compromise between appearance and strength. I build my stuff to take what I consider normal use, not abuse.

On a 24" seat height chair or stool, rocking back isn't an option as your feet aren't on the floor.

I feel in most hardwoods this will stand up long term. No way I'd use pine for instance. Also, if you are a larger person it might be wise to add some supports. But for the customers I'm making these for ( well under 200 lbs even the father) not going to be an issue.

I'm going to design a bar height (30" seat height for a 42" counter) based on these and there will definitely be some stretchers added between the legs.

My customers know I stand behind my product 100% and if anything happens down the road I'm good to repair or replace.

I've done repairs on furniture my father built 35 years ago, and haven't charged the people. How many furniture stores will do that or even have been around for that long?

AJC

I've done repairs on furniture my father built 35 years ago, and haven't charged the people. How many furniture stores will do that or even have been around for that long?

I think that is a cool thing to do, and along with the goodwill attached, the word of mouth and extra business will more then make up for the time expended, plus you get to work on something that your father made, you were probably running around his shop playing in the sawdust at the time he was making it!

whats even cooler is that 30 years from now YOUR son can make repairs on these chairs or fix the ones "Grandpa" made!
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 05-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.