Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: back to chair making...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    Since the front and rear legs are trapped in there respective lips ( for lack of a better term) the joint which appears to be weak is actually very strong.

Certainly, like every design, there is a compromise between appearance and strength. I build my stuff to take what I consider normal use, not abuse.

On a 24" seat height chair or stool, rocking back isn't an option as your feet aren't on the floor.

I feel in most hardwoods this will stand up long term. No way I'd use pine for instance. Also, if you are a larger person it might be wise to add some supports. But for the customers I'm making these for ( well under 200 lbs even the father) not going to be an issue.

I'm going to design a bar height (30" seat height for a 42" counter) based on these and there will definitely be some stretchers added between the legs.

My customers know I stand behind my product 100% and if anything happens down the road I'm good to repair or replace.

I've done repairs on furniture my father built 35 years ago, and haven't charged the people. How many furniture stores will do that or even have been around for that long?

AJC
    Sounds great. With the complete lack of accountability in the big box stores yours will clearly stand out. And I feel confident that quality over cost is always the way to go. Thanks for the reply.

So 6 chairs, and a table just before I took them into the spray room today. Yes, it's a holiday here but that doesnt apply to the self-employed

I cut ALL the parts for the chairs on my Buddy, and it took me a fraction of the time as I had anticipated. Parts fit was excellent.

Hope to have the set sprayed by Wednesday for delivery by the week's end.

AJC

Nice looking set....you do good work!

AJ,

I attended a craft fair this weekend. One dealer had chairs that were a bit different from yours but there are definite similarities. His price per chair is $2850. They are very comfortable.
    http://blackwaterwoodworks.com/Prettyboy/page21.html

Phil

That is more like a Maloof inspired design, with more work for the joinery and spindles, etc.

I sold one of my own "Maloof inspired" rockers a few months ago for $3800. However that rocker took me close to 50 hours for the single chair, and had about $700 worth of walnut in it (retail).

I want to make a set of four Sam Maloof style dining chairs but I will work on cutting and shaping as much as I can on my shopbot. That should save many hours per chair.

Custom chair making is labour intensive when you start incorporating curved lines, intricate joinery etc. The chair I have posted here is relatively simple.