Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Time, Part time?

Perry,
    Just get out in the shop and play. I found that I really couldn't think of something that I needed/wanted to make...so I turned to my friends. They had several things that needed to be cut or made...and in turn, so did a lot of their friends. You never know who is friends with who...and who's going to need your services. I went out and hit the streets, drumming up business. You need to let people know that you exist. I have more customers that are linked to friends than ones I went out and scouted.

If you consistently dedicate time to get out in the shop and play or cut/make something you kinda get into a routine...and possibilities open up. Kinda strange how that works.

-Brady

Brady I'll second that one, I have got more customers from my friends, friends then my web site, crafts fairs at the local town, or going knocking at other shops to find some sub work. Word of mouth is very powerful.....

ThingsWood, 105 Keystone Court, Thunder Bay Ontario, P7C 2E6

John, just 14 months ago I purchased my PR96 as something to toy with in our fulltime woodworking shop. I figured I could use it for some cabnet work and cut for some of the sign companies in our small city of 113,000 people. Brady is right play with the machine find out what you can do, more importantly find out what you can't do.

Take some samples or pictures with you and keep calling on the sign shops in town. I now cut for most of them. My machine and software are now paid for in just under a year along with enough profit to keep my head above water.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.
    Thanks to everyone for their input and continued success to all of you. I am working in a job that is going towards the automated world. ( I work with multi axis closed loop servo system lithography equipment.) That being the case a lot of people will be out of work, possibly myself included. I like, but don't love my day job and decided that if I was going to work hard for a living it was going to be something I love doing...woodworking. I've been in traditional furniture and cabinet classes for the last 2 years. I bought my shopbot with the hopes to improve my furniture making. I know doing furniture alone is a tough one to make a living at, but I can see the different possibilities of the shopbot. So when looking for contacts do you just cold call with samples in hand? Any luck with Designers. I ask because I worked in the custom flooring trades for about 12 years I started out in fabrication then did design and sales for 5 years with retail and wholesale clients. Cold calling them with samples wasn't an imposition, they loved seeing new stuff they could sell. I think I could market to them. I'm not sure how this approach would work with a sign shop or cabinet shop asking if I can cut parts for them.

Thanks again.

John

Our experience is that the sign and cabinet guys generally are very "traditional" and don't easily spend money on sub-contractors. The more "forward" thinkers are the décor, shopfitters, boatbuilders, architects.

Ask your MDF merchant who buys 10-20 sheets of MDF at a time.....

We actually put a salesman full time on the road for six months. It was alot of money covering his pay but it has paid off very well in the end. He often had to visit someone four or five times before they'd give us a try. Of the ones who tried us probably 60% have become regular customers. Gerald's right about traditional and forward thinkers. Old school die hards still seem to think that we are a woodshop and therefore their competitors so they won't bite. The other camp understand that we can help them do more and better work without buying more equipment or hiring more employees. We also do our finished woodworking for a very specialized niche and so therefore, realy are not their competition. A few of our best customers are now talking about making none of their own parts in house and having us cut everything they need. They have done the math and figured out they will make more money in the end with fewer headaches if they just assemble. They will also increase their production! This can be a very, very strong selling point when you are talking to potential commercial customers. Just make sure you can deliver as promised!

We have done a fair bit of work in the past for some small mom and pop sign companies by letting them do projects beyond their in house capabilities. We cut 'em, they finish 'em. It was never anything major but enough to be worthwhile for us. We also do work off and on for some product developers who need prototyping done. A final consideration that we have done some of is cutting and building sub assemblies for small manufacturers. We have not really pushed this much but I know of people who have built whole businesses around this idea.

Eric

I spend a lot of time lurking, and only make an occasional comment. But I wanted to thank all for their inputs. Many responses will be useful in helping establish my eventual business.

I currently work full time designing radios for an Automatic Meter Reading company and would like to continue. Long term, reality in corporate America makes that unlikely, and the Shopbot is my backup plan. I’ve talked to sign and cabinet shops and make an occasional sale. Mostly I’m in a learning mode, and try something new on the ‘Bot every weekend. Initially I planned to master Part Wizard, and then buy additional software matching whatever market seems an interesting opportunity. I now have the same plan, but have adjusted my expectation. If I’m lucky, Part Wizard will eventually master me.

Jim Frost

John, yes working with designers is a real bonus. They can spec your product. Items go out to bid and you already have a leg-up. I have just recently remodeled and done the signage for two stores in the last month. Nice pay cheque.

All so meet regularly with a couple architects and have a couple of projects in the wings. But you have to invest the time in cultivating your contacts. I use the rule 2/3 shop time and 1/3 prospecting, be it on cold or warm prospects.

Yes, I do sign work but I cut more work for the sign companies than anything I produce on my own. Again the sign will be done in conjunction with or for the designer of the project.

I do not sell anything retail and my customers know that I will only supply someone else retailing and I guess that is why they keep giving us work because we are not competitors.

All of these responses are great, this would be why I chose to buy a shopbot over any other CNC router. Everyone always has great input and aren't afraid to share their ideas. As far as sign companies go, Is it common for sign companies sub out (those that don't have a router in house) dimensional cutting and do the painting and finishing themselves? While I think I could eventually cut a great sign...I don't see myself having the talent to paint. I see that there are quite a few sign guys here on the forum that look like they do it all, talented bunch for sure.

John

The sign companies will often get you to cut
    Dibond (Aluminum on 2 sides with PVC sandwiched in the middle),
    Gatorboard (Foam sandwiched between 2 sheets of cardboard), and or
    Sintra (PVC)
    Acrylic
    Lexan, etc.
    on to which they will paint or apply vinyl.