Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no vacuuming while cnc is running :)

Default no vacuuming while cnc is running :)

I discovered something many of you guys might know, but maybe it will save someone a problem like I had recently.

I was running some 3D files (finishing pass) and did not want to leave my central dust collector running for next to no shavings... I wheeled my shop vac over to the Buddy, and proceeded to clean up the surface of the board being machined (it was maybe 3/4 done, over an hour run time).

I heard a small zap and immediately the machine stopped, and showed a lost communication error. Doh!

I figured the static discharge near the cable connecting the laptop to the Buddy's control box did it. Not being 100% sure, I tried it again with a different part (one that I could easily re start and not have time wasted) and sure enough, as soon as enough dust had been vacuumed to create a static electric discharge the machine stopped.

Since February, I have been running my Buddy for several hours a week (sometimes 20 or more) and have never had another error except for the two times I tried cleaning up with the vacuum while the part was running.

DOnt do it!

AJC

Andrew,
    I have gotten so that not only do i not run my feins for vacumn but i have gotten so i don't run my dust collector for anything other then MDF.

I just can't justify running 2 feins and dust collector for 8 hours for a 3d carving especially on a finishing pass. It is a waste to me.

I have a jig where i slap my part into a 90 degree corner then screw down some mdf scrap with a small lip tight up against it to hold it down. It has worked fine like that for 6 years. The only problem is i have 2 brand new feins i paid like 350.00 ea for sitting collecting dust on the OUTSIDE

Here is my thinking...you say you were not running your dust collector at the time right? I assume that your dust collector is grounded correct? Well what you did was substituted a UNgrounded dust collection into the mix by running the vac while part was cutting.
    I have done that HUNDREDS of times and never had a problem. You might try attaching a small wire to the housing of your portable vacumn and putting a alligator clip on the end and clipping it to your table when cleaning.

Or the absolute failproof method that works everytime. It is a two part method outlined below.........
    1. INHALE
    2. BLOW

or get yourself a handbroom or large paintbrush

Easier solution, just dont bother until its done..

Because when the CNC is running, I am usually working on other equipment (saws, sanders, jointer, planer, etc) the dust collector is usually running.

However at that time, I was working all day at my bench hand sanding parts or something similar.

My central collector and ducting/hoses are all well grounded. The shop vac, I guess If I wanted to run it, I could try grounding the unit to the buddy. But its easier just to not worry about it, or, just use the compressed air line I ran next to the machine

AJC

Oh I get it....you can't follow my 2 part instructions so you have to let a machine do that for you? lol

It seems as if we always make more work for ourselves when we try to take a shortcut..at least it seems that way for me.

I'm just curious why that happens to you and i have done that hundreds of times with no problems. Mine is a craftsman small vac. The housing, lid and hose are all plastic do you have any metal in your vac?

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Oh I get it....you can't follow my 2 part instructions so you have to let a machine do that for you? lol

It seems as if we always make more work for ourselves when we try to take a shortcut..at least it seems that way for me.

I'm just curious why that happens to you and i have done that hundreds of times with no problems. Mine is a craftsman small vac. The housing, lid and hose are all plastic do you have any metal in your vac?
    Not really. It is the Festool CT48. With the antistatic hoses... it might have a weird way of dissipating the built up charge, though, as I use it you can hear the snaps and crackles.

OH well, if I had the problem, someone else is bound to as well. Just thought I'd pass it on for what its worth

AJC

I ended up getting a cheap Harbor Freight dust collector for my CNC. All the parts of the DC are grounded together and then to the main ground. There is a bare copper wire that runs through the hose and connects at the CNC and the DC.

Never had a static problem causing lost comm issues with this setup even after 3 years of running 20 to 40 hours a week.

I did have some gremlins climb into my system a week ago and cause havic. But by the next day (no changes to the system what so ever) they just went away and I'm back to normal operations. The only thing I did was empty the DC bag. It had a couple of holes in it and Frank figured I should have left the bag so the gremlins could get out so they wouldn't cause problems.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

garyc Guest

Don...
    Emptying the DC bag = more flow
    more flow = more static
    Having the static gremlins back = priceless
    My bet; along with the increase in flow, the humidity was lower.

If you have a hygrometer in the shop it becomes almost predictable as to when static issues will arise. You will also realize that something IS changing, and usually on a daily basis. Even tho I very seldom experience static issues anymore, I have seen days, especially when cutting plastics or MDF, that I just wont use the DC.

I keep a hygrometer in the shop and watch it daily. I also have a "wooden" hygrometer - a cross grain piece of maple to which a lengthwise grain veneer is laminated on one side only.

Over the course of a year, it bends up and down depending upon the %RH and I mark the %, and the date. It is amazing how much that piece of wood moves throughout the year.

And, since we are in the Northern Canada wilderness more or less, with no moderating body of water - the humidity level can drastically change within a few days.

I am going to test grounding out the shop vac, to the central system (which I know has all ductwork and hoses grounded well), and see if it works. Now I am more interested to see than anything else.

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    I also have a "wooden" hygrometer - a cross grain piece of maple to which a lengthwise grain veneer is laminated on one side only
    I need to make one of these right away! It seems so very cool. I assume that the cross grain pushes the veneer backwards with more humidity?

-Joe

This happens to me when my compressor is running, took a couple of times before I figured out that the Bot and compressor can't run at the same time.
    The tools are on separate circuits and about 15 feet apart..

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    I discovered something many of you guys might know, but maybe it will save someone a problem like I had recently.

I was running some 3D files (finishing pass) and did not want to leave my central dust collector running for next to no shavings... I wheeled my shop vac over to the Buddy, and proceeded to clean up the surface of the board being machined (it was maybe 3/4 done, over an hour run time).

I heard a small zap and immediately the machine stopped, and showed a lost communication error. Doh!

I figured the static discharge near the cable connecting the laptop to the Buddy's control box did it. Not being 100% sure, I tried it again with a different part (one that I could easily re start and not have time wasted) and sure enough, as soon as enough dust had been vacuumed to create a static electric discharge the machine stopped.

Since February, I have been running my Buddy for several hours a week (sometimes 20 or more) and have never had another error except for the two times I tried cleaning up with the vacuum while the part was running.

DOnt do it!

AJC