Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would it be wrong to ask...

Here's my idea so far... I've spent a good deal of time modeling and assembling components in SketchUp. That's one area that PartWorks/Aspire falls short... I wanted as few different parts as possible and yet make it impossible to assemble incorrectly. All parts are self aligning and squaring. Assembly should be easily done with a mallet, glue and clamps...short of using furniture clamps a pin nailer will do fine.

My research shows that a standard chest of drawers/dresser can be any where from 24" to 60" wide in 3" increments, anywhere from 14" to 18" deep, and heights all over the place but generally 30" to 60" tall. This design falls right in the middle of those dimensions and will be very easy to modify. My design has 1" of space behind the drawers so you can make the drawer faces flush rather than overlay if you want... The faces apply over the drawer box face just like a kitchen cabinet drawer. The face is where you can go wild with your own creative designs! The back has an option to have a paneled look... I did this as I'm thinking about using the basic unit as a modular bookcase or even some other wild ideas I'm playing with. My plan is to use connecter bolts between units, up through the 1/4" dust shield into a brass insert in the framework of the next unit.

Any suggestions?

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steve_g; 05-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Now for the cool part. if you can lay those parts flat in sketchup, you can create the g-code for them, I am not sure if a shopbot will read just plain old g-code or not. but there is a plugin for sketchup to create gcode, it is called sketchucam from the phlatforum. http://phlatforum.com. Registration to the forum is required.

David

David
    The bot should handle the G code fine... I'll have to investigate the phlatforum! I tend to take on projects like this while recovering from surgery... next is a new hip in a few months. If you or anyone else wants to run with this before I do, I'll gladly provide any work I've done to date.

SG