Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IWF 2012 Atlanta... anyone going?

Default IWF 2012 Atlanta... anyone going?

I am thinking of attending the Atlanta IWF woodworking show in August. If there is one thing I love, its a big wood working show! Even if I have to travel a few thousand Km's to get there

Is it a good show? I am always on the look out for new things, equipment, materials, etc.

Is Shopbot going to have a booth there?

AJC

I both look forward to, and am disappointed by most woodworking shows i go to, Why? because when i go up and down the aisles looking at the tools, i say to myself...."got it, got it, got it, don't want it, got it, got it...

I rarely see something that makes me want to pull out the credit card redily. I bought a kreg jig at the last show a month or so ago and have yet to pull it out and use it!
    So take your camera and if you see anything really cool take a picture and show us!

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I both look forward to, and am disappointed by most woodworking shows i go to, Why? because when i go up and down the aisles looking at the tools, i say to myself...."got it, got it, got it, don't want it, got it, got it...

I rarely see something that makes me want to pull out the credit card redily. I bought a kreg jig at the last show a month or so ago and have yet to pull it out and use it!
    So take your camera and if you see anything really cool take a picture and show us!
    I go the the big industry shows more to see shop equipment, tooling, new hardware out on the market, etc. Stuff I normally dont get to see.

We have a decent show here in Canada every 2nd year, but it pales in comparison to the big US shows. Last year in Vegas, I was in HEAVEN! I am hoping the IWF is a similar deal.

There are still a few larger peices of equipment I am hoping to acquire in my shop, in the future. It is nice to see stuff in person, and operational, before you spend several thousand bucks. The trip to Vegas last year sold me on getting a Shopbot Buddy for instance. Until then, all I could see was a small video on line.

AJC

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

The iwf is the sister show to the one in Vegas the awf . the iwf has downsized in the past few years both due to the economy and to the fact that the awf moved from anaheime calif to vegas. face it , where would you want to go ? they are very good shows but alot of what they have is more geared to the BIG Boys . with that being said there is alot of things for us little guys also. Andrew , if you go you must carry a hankerchief, to catch the drooling you will be doing.....they also have some classes geared toward the woodworking industry that are very good, Yes i am going . if for no other reason but to keep up with what is going on in this industry. look at their web site iwfatlanta2012, or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    The iwf is the sister show to the one in Vegas the awf . the iwf has downsized in the past few years both due to the economy and to the fact that the awf moved from anaheime calif to vegas. face it , where would you want to go ? they are very good shows but alot of what they have is more geared to the BIG Boys . with that being said there is alot of things for us little guys also. Andrew , if you go you must carry a hankerchief, to catch the drooling you will be doing.....they also have some classes geared toward the woodworking industry that are very good, Yes i am going . if for no other reason but to keep up with what is going on in this industry. look at their web site iwfatlanta2012, or something like that
    Oh I already have the site bookmarked, and my wife will come down with me (and our son) and make a holiday of it. I too would like to attend one or more of the classes.

A big part of going to these shows for me is to see whats new. Even if it is a new design cutter head, or a new piece of cabinet hardware - I like to keep up with things in my shop. And, I am always on the hunt for new equipment. Yes, some of the stuff is geared towards larger factories, etc but you still get to see all the smaller industrial equipment, same as what I have in my place. And I am always looking..

I am sure my wife wouldnt mind if I let her stay at the hotel while I went to the show... if anyone knows they are going to attend, and are in the same boat I'd maybe we can meet up!

AJC

I'm a small shop, very small but I've been to everyone but one (Was out of state) since I don't know, sometime in the 80's I guess, back when I had a 'real' job in the computer field : ). I always enjoy seeing what is there and this year I plan to spend a lot of time at the Shopbot display - don't have one yet. Now. total disclosure, I live in the Atlanta area so my cost is essentially just the price of the ticket.

Trivia point - I now have the Delta Unisaw that Delta had at the 1994 show - the one I missed - but Redmon and Sons purchased everthing and I bought it from them after the show. Not 100% sure but I think it was used by Norm Abrams that year when he was there.

Would be great to meet some Shoipbotters as I slobber all over my self wanting one and Andrew I am in total awe of your work. Great stuff and we have similar backgounds I think - math/physics/science.

Been 10 years since I have gone, it is huge, get an idea what you really want to research or you will be overwhelmed, wear comfortable shoes.

Is Shopbot going to have a booth there?
    According to the Exhibitor map both ShopBot and Vectric will be there. Always a great time to meet the people who help make our CNC experience fun.

Tim

I'll be there. I find the shows very useful and everytime we go I find something to buy.

/RB

Quote Originally Posted by JimDav View Post
    I'm a small shop, very small but I've been to everyone but one (Was out of state) since I don't know, sometime in the 80's I guess, back when I had a 'real' job in the computer field : ). I always enjoy seeing what is there and this year I plan to spend a lot of time at the Shopbot display - don't have one yet. Now. total disclosure, I live in the Atlanta area so my cost is essentially just the price of the ticket.

Trivia point - I now have the Delta Unisaw that Delta had at the 1994 show - the one I missed - but Redmon and Sons purchased everthing and I bought it from them after the show. Not 100% sure but I think it was used by Norm Abrams that year when he was there.

Would be great to meet some Shoipbotters as I slobber all over my self wanting one and Andrew I am in total awe of your work. Great stuff and we have similar backgounds I think - math/physics/science.
    Well, if you want to meet up one of the days of the show, let me know. I am not sure of our exact travel plans yet, but my wife will be making them very soon - she just has to verify the time off work.

I will post when I know what day's Ill be in Atlanta.

It would be great to meet up and talk woodworking... and hang at the Shopbot booth

AJC