Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How not to have a fight with a cnc

Default How not to have a fight with a cnc

I learned a very hard lesson yesterday,,, the board i was cutting parts out of split apart.. I had turned off the cnc but the cnc had not stopped i grab the board the board pulled my hand into the bit.. To avoid this accident wait till it stops ... Almost lost two fingers..

Eugene
    Sorry to hear about your accident. The CNC is so much safer than our other shop tools It's easy to not give it the respect it deserves... Hopefully I and others can gain some respect without the actual experience. Thanks for reminding us.

SG

Eugene,

I'm very glad you escaped injury. I suspect you probably had to go change your underwear though
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thumbs up Get well soon!

Over the last 11 years, CNC work has taught me to improve my reaction time!

I now have it down in the region of around 2.63 nanoseconds.

You don't have to be half-crazy to do CNC
    but it sure helps...

Almost lost two fingers

Soooo... I assumed that you didn't quite loose them. Don assumed you got away with a bad scare... which was it?

SG

How much blood? That's what we really want to know...

Pictures??

but it sure helps...

Thanks for NOT posting pictures, I am a wimp when it comes to seeing pics of injuries.

George

Quote Originally Posted by ironsides View Post
    Thanks for NOT posting pictures, I am a wimp when it comes to seeing pics of injuries.
    Geeez...not even blood spatters on his spoil-board??

but it sure helps...

Default Fingers

Still not out of the woods on one finger.. It broke it and rapped it around the half inch up cut sprial bit... Had to drive my self to er two HOURS away... First dr that saw the finger could not sew it up he called in a ortho dr, took 4 hours to sew one finger up.. This was a mistake that should not have happened.. I put to much value on the board and threw out all safety rules... This has almost cost me my fingers... As far as the blood goes about a pint on the floor and bed, before i could get the first aid kit open ended up putting rubber bands around wrist to slow blood loss down till i got a good bandage on... Dad had taken the day off and was out and about with his brothers, so i was totally on my own.. Keep a cool head did what was needed shut down the shop... Called the hospital to let them know i was on my way.... The local amblulance was out on another call would have been 1 to 2 hours before they could come to me so i decided to drive my self to hospital... Made it fine...

Always remember let the bit come to a complete stop before touching anything on the table or around the bit... This happened so fast, it was unbeliveable.... No pain, just blood every where... Took a minute to unwrap finger from bit... And boy wa i scared...

KEEP WIDE BAND RUBBER BANDS NEAR YOUR FIRST AID KIT. WITH OUT THE RUBBER BANDS I WOULD HAVE LOST A LOT MORE BLOOD.. JUST DO NOT KEEP THEM ON FOR LONG.. JUST TILL YOU GET CONTROL OF THE BLEEDING...

2 hours drive away from a ER? Geez where do you live in the backwoods? Wow you really do need to be able to take care of yourself in case of emergency. Man just glad you are ok..