Thread: CNC and 3D printer

Default CNC and 3D printer

This may be of interest to some of you especially those "tinkerer types" like Khalid!
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Comb...nter/?ALLSTEPS

FYI, I suspect you didn't read my post, so here it is again.

Here is my post from the Tulsa Fablab Symposium where ShopBot was showing a 3D printhead on the ShopBot Desktop. The new beta control software has support for both the 3D printhead on any shopbot (my understanding), as well as a laser cutting head.

I have no idea what upgrades to the control board may be needed to use these new options on one of our existing shopbots to use these options as a retrofit.

But.. we already OWN that capability- minus the 3D printhead and 3D printer toolpathing software (the desktop was running open-source 3D printing software when it was demoed).

Makes me glad I own a ShopBot.. its a living product, not a dead end!

D

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    Here is the Desktop that was being shown, it has three heads on the Z car, and an indexer in the background!

Here is a close up, the 3D printhead is on the right, note the blue thread of ABS material being fed to the printhead on the right. On the left of the spindle is the steerable knife motor driven by one of the Shopbot control axes. I didn't get any photos of knife cutting attachments.

One of the printed parts:

This is a removable vacuum fixture for the desktop being held on the left.

Looking it all over:

Open the thumbnail below..

(The Forum will allow 5 pictures to be uploaded per post, but only 4 to be shown. Odd?)

More photos in the next post-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Can it make me a nice ham and swiss on rye?? That would impress me..

Just kidding..! That technology is pretty amazing, for sure.

AJC

Dana I guess i missed that one! that does look cool. I guess we're going to have to start saving up our pennies (or dollars)!

garyc Guest

Jack...
    The beta also has an added command (MI) that allows an indexer to be spun at a fixed speed!! Know anyone that ever wanted that?

Hmmm... i wonder if that is available for us with a different machine? Last time i talked to Ted it was either going to be a simple software fix or at most some type of small board addition to the control box.

Do you know if this is something i can get from shopbot for my machine? I was seriously considering going the additional lathe route because i saw one cheap on Craigslist, so this would be exciting news! thanks for bringing that to my attention

Gary- I have tried the MI command, and given feedback. Ted said there would be an update based on that suggestion, however I have not reloaded the latest beta to see how it works now.

Jack- the new Beta requires you re-flash your controller, and if your machine is anything recent the MI command should work for you. I dont know what interface(s) the 3D printhead uses with the control board, it may be as simple as connecting to one of the stepper motor controller slots. The 3D printhead has its own thermostat to control the heater to melt the deposition ABS material, then it uses a stepper motor to feed the material into the printhead proportional to the speed the "bead" is being deposited. It may only require that a spare channel be available on your controller. Unless you have a 5 axis bot, probably you can use it now.

It may require a discrete output also, I dont know that for sure. Check with the folks at the factory. The 3D printhead is not sphisticated to operate, as most of the low cost 3D printers just use an arduino to run the motion and printhead.

The laser output control which is part of the new software appears to only require a spare discrete output which can be pulse width modulated to control the laser cutting power. There may be a laser enable discrete requirement also. I am hoping SB will release a laser head soon.

Existing shopbots may not need any upgrade to the electronics, just the mechanics. Again I am not authoritative, just a witness to the demo machine. Check with the folks in Durham..

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

The specs are pretty incredible - Full 6 axis control, PWM laser control, heater control for 3d printer and a lot more!

Hmm, why am I typing? Read it yourselves, HERE
    Ron Sloan

garyc Guest

Jack...
    Only requirement for you, I think, would be to upgrade your controller card if you havent already.

Dana...
    You mentioned the tangential knife. I have seen it fitted with a craft knife blade, a utility knife blade and a rotary blade. In both vertical and angled positions. I think the utility knife blade holder is the most likely to be produced.

I saw this a few months back in action at ShopBot HQ... very cool... would be neat is the attachments were just that - attachments. Meaning, you slide one into place and your CNC router is now a 3D printer or a laser cutter or a pizza maker.

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)