Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vector Drawings with evenly spaced nodes.

Question Vector Drawings with evenly spaced nodes.

First let me say thank you for any and all replies to this question.

I am trying to import any vector drawing into Corel 12 and generate an output drawing that has nodes on a equally spaced basis based on the level of detail in the individual areas of the vector drawing. I need to export that vector drawing as a .dxf or .eps that I can use in ArtCam. Is this something that Corel 12 is capable of doing? Nothing I have tried has worked well, so I won't muddy the waters by throwing out what I have done. I have used Corel 7,9, and 12 and have used Corel since 2001. I currently use Corel 12 only so if one of the older versions will do what I need please advise. Using Win XP with a p4 and 2 gb. of ram.

Some background: I have added a modification to my PRT Shopbot to make it do Tin Punch, and need the vector drawings to allow me to make accurate punches. I will need to break the drawing into sections, so I can add more nodes where more detail is needed and fewer nodes where less detail is needed. All the hardware is in place, and the modification done to the ArtCam post processor to allow proper code to be generated for the machine.

My ultimate goal is to photograph a subject, vectorize and ultimately make a tin punch of scene, person, or thing.

Thanks again for any help you may be able to offer.

Steve

Neat idea!

Some drawing programs have a "divide" command... but it would be one vector at a time. PartWorks /Aspire has the "fit curves" command that you can use backwards from how we normally use it, but that doesn't work on straight lines. (you can play with the tolerance number to adjust spacing). Hope you find something that works!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could you use evenly spaced small circles? and then use the center of each circle for your punch or drill target?
    A lot of programs have that capability if you define the spacing in a step and repeat. Possibly set up a section of evenly defined circles and then distribute them along a curve. I believe AI CS4 can do that so Corel probably can do a distribute along a curve as well but I have never tried it.

Default Node Spacing

Thanks for the response...

1st...Steve, I see from your response you have already figured out what the big issue with the software part of this project is...the straight lines in a vector drawing. That is why I am asking for ideas. Here is what I have tried in Corel...I changed the solid vector lines to broken lines, and exported the file as a .dxf thinking that would give me individual points that I could then set as points to be selected as vector nodes. Corel exports the file with no problem but the straight lines in the original file has (no nodes assigned) so ArtCam sees the info that way. Combining the broken lines assigned in Corel causes it to crash most of the time before it can finish the conversion. Very simple vector files will work, but any file with enough info to make a good quality punch file is a no go with this method unless there is a way around the crash. I have tried InkScape..it allows selection and adding of nodes but also has repeat crashes. I suppose I may have setup issues; but both programs work fine except when using them for this project. I suspect that I may need more computing power than what I have, but I use my computer for running a laser and generating cut files for the bot. I don't want to go through a change there unless there is no way around it.

I welcome any other thoughts you may have....
    Last edited by SteveR; 05-24-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Removed picture link

Bob, Thanks for the response..I am using the "select all vector nodes" in the drill program in ArtCam which does exactly what you refer to. I actually need to assign nodes before I get to this step in the process. The level of detail needs to be based on the size of the individual parts of the vector drawing, something that would be too labor intensive to do manually and probably would not "look in proportion" if done by hand. I have looked at using a "pen and tablet" generated file based on manually tracing a photo or line drawing but that too seems not to be a good option.

Thank You for your response, I appreciate any other info you may be able to offer.

Added Picture to show what I am trying to do.

Last edited by SteveR; 05-24-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added Photo

My approach would be to 'paste object along curve' and draw your circle the size you want it to be - then see how the 'spacing' with 'make spacing even' option works out for you. It is a much more reliable way to do what you want than trying to space out nodes.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the tip Brady, I will spend some time working with your method. Give me a few days and I will re-post the results.

Appreciate your help...

Steve

This might help...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, I am already there...your tip put me on the mark with what I needed to do. I experimented with 4 different vector files and had good results with all of them using your method. My next hurdle will be vectorizing photos and turning the results into .dxf files. I may have to ask for advice again if you and others don't mind. I usually can find an answer for most of the problems I encounter but this was sort of out of the ordinary.

My Thanks Again to You, Steve, and Bob...I will post a some of items I do on the bot in a few days.

Steve
    I was working along the same path... when I tried that method on vectorized photos I had to use a circle size of .001 to avoid overlapping circles. you can't see the resulting circles, but you can toolpath them! I had to tell it to use an initial depth of .06 to be able to render it.

SG