Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Patio Chair...

I like the first one - cool design!
    Ron Sloan

I guess this is really a better example what I was after... a woven cane insert look. I'll make the top crest two ways and if the one with the holes all the way through isn't weakened too much, I'll use it.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Version 2: Up-Scale (20%)
    The original was a little small for me... Here is my scaled up version.

NOTE: I did not scale the width of the chair... it's the same as the original.

I extended the feet to make them have more contact with the ground... hopefully less sinking in on grass. This had another unanticipated benefit... when a five year old stands on the front edge of the original design it tips forward, dumping the child, un-nesting and pinching fingers. The extended foot moves the center of gravity forward...

The radii on the slat corners were a nice addition.

Even though this decorative pattern didn't receive the most votes, my wife's single vote won the race.

1/2" Baltic Birch is on the ragged edge of being OK for this enlarged versions legs... There's a little bit of sideways shimmy. I likely won't hold all three grand kids and tickle them while sitting in this chair! 3/4" material would be a better choice for this size chair. After watching children interact with this chair... I'm going to reinforce the first seat slat and I'm going to use pegs or connecter bolts to keep the two parts properly aligned, eliminating potential pinch points.

The 1/4" seat and back slats are very comfortable!

The scaled up version is enough taller so that when carrying the nested parts the hand hole in the top crest is worthless... unless you're 6'-6" tall... It's still useful for scooting the chair around on the ground though.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks great Steve.
    I like the pattern on the side. It really dresses it up.

Scott

That "old cowboy" in the picture looks comfortable!
    How tall is he? Because the seat dimensions on the back of his legs and up his back look perfect.
    One thing i find is that the seat on some chairs doesn't support the whole back of the leg down to the knees and you tend to pinch the backs of your legs somewhat. This design looks great!

Jack

That "Old Cowboy" used to be just over 6' tall... now with "desiccated" disks he's 5'-9½" . I haven't sat through a ballgame yet but preliminary indications are that it will be very comfortable!

SG

Is that "old cowboy" you? Let me ask a question about your design. From what i see in the picture the back seems to be pitched backwards and to sit more straightup you would have to design the pitch of the arc for the backrest more straight?
    It's not a criticism of the design but because I have a bad neck and shoulders holding my head forward to be level is a source of pain.

I'll tell you what i'm waiting to see....is your version of this chair in a "lounge" version with a high back and maybe a optional leg rest

Oh and don't forget the cutout in the armrest for the optional beercan holder.

Jack

Yep, it's me... The chair is very comfortable for me to sit in but a little hard to get out of. I'm still playing with angles by propping up the back legs. When I find the right angle, I'll try version 3! I understand pain... for me it's hips and back. Maybe it needs to have adjustment options built in to cater to individuals. One idea I had is to add large wheels where the two components cross... I'll call it a "Wheel Chair". HA.

SG

Hi Steve,

Looks great - I've also found that as time goes by, I seem to sit down way easier than getting back up. I'm pretty sure that gravity has been steadily increasing over the few years!
    Ron Sloan