Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Talks goes Green...

Today i ordered the charge controller(US $235 )for my wind mill with following specifications:

Rated Battery Voltage = 24V
    Rated Wind Turbine Power =600W
    Wind Turbine Maximum Input Current =40A
    Wind Turbine Maximum Input Power=1000W
    Unload Voltage(factory default)= 28V
    Unload Current(factory default) =25A
    Rated Solar Power= 300W
    Battery Over Discharge Voltage Shutoff= 22V
    Battery Over Discharge Recovery= 24V
    Output Protection Voltage= 32V
    Display Mode = LCD
    Display Parameters

Wind Turbine Power, Wind Turbine Voltage, Wind Turbine Current, PV Voltage, PV Charge Current, PV Power, Battery Voltage,
    Over Voltage, Under Voltage, Over Load, Short Circuit, Night. Etc Attached Thumbnails
    I left woodwork due to office work.

completed the MDF coil winder on my CNC machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. Are you mounting the MDF on an indexer to wind the coils like it shows in the first photo?

Do you use a iron laminated core when its finished winding?

I have had the same general project in mind for a few years. I am envious you are getting yours done first..

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    Looks good. Are you mounting the MDF on an indexer to wind the coils like it shows in the first photo?
    Wow..your idea of using indexer is pretty good..initially my idea was to hand wound the coils.
    Do you use a iron laminated core when its finished winding?
    No, no laminated iron core... I am following Huge Piggott wind mill design guide. However the dimensions varies due to scrapped low thickness magnets etc.
    I have had the same general project in mind for a few years. I am envious you are getting yours done first..

D
    Hope i shall finish the project till 20 september, 2012.

As the drawing development in progress so the parts coming out from my home made CNC machine.You can see how accurate is my home made CNC router compared to a part produced with a precision industrial CNC machine.

The indexer on the shopbot can run in continuous turn mode (with the upcoming release). I figure to put a prox switch on a spool and have an arduino count the turns. Alternatively, I could have it turn 10 turns, and zero the indexer position in the new position. Repeat until the number of desired turns has elapsed. Then I have a cool CNC coil winder..

My wind project will happen. I have a place to put it, and a general strategy to evaluate its performance compared to similar designs.

My plan is to build TWO wind generators, and mount them about 50 feet apart. Then leave one in standard configuration, and let the other one be a test bed. Since the wind doesn't blow the same way from day to day, the difference between the two can be compared since they experience almost exactly the same conditions.

Then I can experiment with changes in airfoil, pitch controllers, charge controllers, etc. See which one really performs best with the various wind speeds and air densities it encounters.

Lastly I can plot all that against the cost for each version tested. Which produces the most power for a given investment?

It will be interesting to find out. And hopefully the information will be economically useful.

Khalid I am impressed, and glad to see the ideas keep coming!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

The indexer on the shopbot can run in continuous turn mode (with the upcoming release). I figure to put a prox switch on a spool and have an arduino count the turns. Alternatively, I could have it turn 10 turns, and zero the indexer position in the new position. Repeat until the number of desired turns has elapsed. Then I have a cool CNC coil winder..
    I can make a gcode for my indexer to complete certain rotation and stop. In my case i have to wind each coils 110turns, so making a simple few lines gcode for indexer is not a problem for me.

My wind project will happen. I have a place to put it, and a general strategy to evaluate its performance compared to similar designs.

My plan is to build TWO wind generators, and mount them about 50 feet apart. Then leave one in standard configuration, and let the other one be a test bed. Since the wind doesn't blow the same way from day to day, the difference between the two can be compared since they experience almost exactly the same conditions.

Then I can experiment with changes in airfoil, pitch controllers, charge controllers, etc. See which one really performs best with the various wind speeds and air densities it encounters.

Lastly I can plot all that against the cost for each version tested. Which produces the most power for a given investment?

It will be interesting to find out. And hopefully the information will be economically useful.
    You are indigenous. Your ideas are really great. The monitoring of one wind mill parameters and adjustment is a tidious process but the end results shall be a highly efficient wind mill. Dont forget to post your work on internet.

Khalid I am impressed, and glad to see the ideas keep coming!

D
    Yes, I highly appreciate your ideas and guidance and thank you for sharing your ideas and out-of-box thinking.

Today i machined the template for marking the position of Stator Holes on the structural frame. This template shall also be used for Resin casting. Moreover, the metallic structure for mounting the wheel hub and magnetic plate is also fabricated. Some snap shots of today's work.

Here is the blade design by my brother Sadiq usman during his final year in Mechanical engineering. Today i carved out a small scale version of it on the MDF using double side machining technique. I found out that the twist in the blade and NACA profile selected is not efficient.

I also designed the blade using NACA profile. I will machine it soon and will post the comparision.

Kahlid have you run the equations for L/D as a function of radius for the airfoil you are using?

Given any specific windspeed you can compute what RPM you will get at no load, and approximately how much it will "load up" as you extract energy.

The books I have found to be most helpful on mathematical aerodynamics are "aerodynamics for naval aviators":

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a.../00-80T-80.pdf

And Jan Roskam "Airplane Design" Volumes I and II. Ignore the others. They cost about $50US each. Anybody designing aerodynamic anything usually has a copy on their desk. Its the basic info.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_20yf4csix5_e

At first the math of aerodynamics is very daunting. But it condenses down to a handful of equations that are quite manageable. Basic drag polars are available for the NACA airfoils, and lift as a function of alpha (angle of attack) at various airspeeds are known also. This stuff is predictable enough that you can weed out a lot of ideas with a few calculations.

I used to work with a guy who had a sign over his desk that read "One can easily save a few hours in the library by spending a few months in the shop."

Hope the book references are useful. The book for naval aviators is a free download. Also it works in English Engineering units. Although the books are aimed at aircraft, the airfoil doesn't know if you are putting power in or taking it out. The four forces will be in balance or the RPM will be changing.

D

--Greg Westbrook

Default reading material

Thanks for the aviation information Dana, I now have about 434 pages to read...

Of course, one of the greatest moments in aviation history was when Wilbur said to Orville, "You know, If you can't turn, you ain't much better than a cannonball..."
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....