Thread: blind dados

Default blind dados

I just cut a few sheets that had both blind and full dados and they were fine. I kept the bot on and loaded a new kitchen and started to cut it up. I am getting the tenons to cut fine but the corresponding dados are not being cut. They are not being coded for when the link writes to the shopbot. In the nest on the link and ecabs I can see the dados. When I check the depth in ecabs it is correct. Does anyone have any idea why the code is not getting written. I have cut several kitchens with the link and this has never happened before. I am using a 3/8 mc which has always worked.

Thanks
    Todd

Todd,

This has happened to me on a few occasions. Missed dados, dados cut in the wrong spots. I've even tried to do off fall cutouts so I can catalog off falls and I've had several sheets of expensive material ruined when SBLink tells the Shopbot to start cutting right through the middle of the off fall I want to keep. I don't do off falls anymore.

All these weird happenings seem to be pretty random in frequency.

Do an export from SBLink and send it to Thermwood to sort out.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks Don

What has your solution been? I tried shutting everything down and booting it back up, but it did not help. I am thinking of redrawing the kitchen.

garyc Guest

Todd...
    The "usual" cause for this has been:

1) The dado width percentage times the mtl thickness is not equal to or greater than the bit diameter (.375)

2) The dado depth is not equal to or greater than the bit diameter (.375) for blind (tenon) dados

Todd,

I have never found a fix. I run a new set of code selecting just the screwed up part, it cuts the second time with no problem. No changes to the part. I just use the Load dialog to select the specific part.

In every case that a dado was missed, I just used Load to select that specific part and run it again. Problem not solved (material wasted ) but at least I've got my part to move forward with.

So, in response to Gary's post, wrong sized bits/dado's, etc. doesn't seem to be the issue. For some reason, SBLink seems to miss something every now and then with no explanation. I've sent Export's to Scott at Thermwood and he has found nothing. Just one of those "features" you tend to find in software once and awhile.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

In response to Gary

I have had that very same thing happen and the link told me that it could not find a tool to perform the specific pocketing operation. When that happened it was because I was using a .374 bit and 3/4 material that measured .70 (china) ply. That was fixed by changing the % thickness of the tenon. Since then I have placed a .25 bit that is set for cut, drill and interpolate. This did not solve the problem. Prior to this file I cut two sheets of 3/4 that measured .01" thinner than the stock on this job. The weird thing is most of the cabinets came from a library that I have cut before. I think I am going to try building the cabinets again in a new file as a batch and see what happens.

THANKS for all the help I will post the outcome of the new try.

Todd

I just put a couple cabinets into a batch and then put them in the link on the bot and the code looks as it should. I guess there must have been something weird in the file that threw off the link. I will send it to thermwood and see if they know of any such issues.