Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag Knife

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    I see no bearings in your cutter Steve. You have to have bearings. The spindle or router has way too much mass to be turned by the tip of a knife blade. Minimal inertia and freely spinning bearings are critical.
    Hey why did you not tell me that 4 years ago?? (G)
    I just needed to cut that 1/2" cardboard cleanly and this was the only way I could do it. so I hacked it out after several tries. but I wonder if it is just the bearings. I can't remember but it seemed I had problems cutting straight too until I added the trail. but I can't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    Hey why did you not tell me that 4 years ago?? (G)
    I just needed to cut that 1/2" cardboard cleanly and this was the only way I could do it. so I hacked it out after several tries. but I wonder if it is just the bearings. I can't remember but it seemed I had problems cutting straight too until I added the trail. but I can't remember for sure.
    There are a number of things to consider. That's why I didn't get it right the first time. I've produced a number of prototypes on these things over the years. Some were successful and others were not. Unfortunately, it's not something you can just go and produce and have it work right away. I started thinking about this particular knife design about 6 months ago. I finally began work on the first prototype last Monday. I believe I have produced about 8 versions of it in the last week. The cutters in the picture will endergo one last version tomorrow. At that point, I believe, the design and prototype phase will be complete. I'll have a functional tool for next seasons production and I would imagine some of the board/ski manufacturers who purchased my previous knife holder will purchase this one. The inexpensive blades will pay for the new holder pretty rapidly. The question is if other cnc users will find it to be a good addition to their tool kit. It has the potential to open new avenues that are not open to the typical cnc router machinist.

it is complex for something so simple. thinking about it I doubt a bearing would have helped on the 1/2" cardboard it took almost all of my prtalpha power to cut it in one pass. but thinner material of course is a whole other ballgame. I would be interested though I don't usually need a knife anymore. But I od have a ski manufacturer I make parts for.

2 1/2 weeks on development of this thing. I finally have it dialed.

http://youtu.be/r88r3prPhjc

Very impressive!

That is very cool!
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Sean

Where do I sign?

SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Sean

Where do I sign?

SG
    Just give me a call and I'll get you one.

Very cool...would it cut hide leather, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" thick?

Yes. The knife offset is .060, but it protrudes .150in. If you cut something thicker than 0.060, you're best off making two passes at it. I will likely produce a version with a 1/8in offset and a bit more protrusion. You loose a bit of fine detail and your tightest possible corner/turn increases. You typically don't want to cut a radius smaller than the offset. Sharp corners are performed by raising the cutter so the tip is just in contact with the surface, and then moving the machine through a circle (radius close to offset) and then lowering the cutter back into the material and continue cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_works View Post
    Very cool...would it cut hide leather, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" thick?