Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag Knife

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

The knife changes direction with just the movement of the spindle correct? It does not have to have spindle orientation does it?

PS I got your email but I have been out of town I will get back to you soon.

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    The knife changes direction with just the movement of the spindle correct? It does not have to have spindle orientation does it?

PS I got your email but I have been out of town I will get back to you soon.

Thanks Mike
    Just as it says in the video, you do not supply any power to the spindle. The tip of the blade is slightly behind center and the holder incorporates bearings that allow it to swivel to the necessary orientation.

OK Sean,

I'm interested as well!!

Thanks

Rik

e-mail sent

Quote Originally Posted by Rick W View Post
    OK Sean,

I'm interested as well!!

Thanks

Rik

The present holder can not accommodate 1/4in cardboard, but could be relatively easily adjusted to do so. It will result in loss of detail on small parts. Most cardboard I am familiar with is 1/8in thick. Are you certain on the thickness?
    No I am not sure I am just wanting to cut cardboard for making shipping boxes I thought they were 1/4" but you are probably right they might be 1/8"

Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

there are different types of cardboard. the standard is 1/8 but there also is double wall that is 1/4 thick. we use both for boxing products depending on what we are shipping.

No I am not sure I am just wanting to cut cardboard for making shipping boxes I thought they were 1/4" but you are probably right they might be 1/8"

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    there are different types of cardboard. the standard is 1/8 but there also is double wall that is 1/4 thick. we use both for boxing products depending on what we are shipping.
    The current knife is capable of cutting up to 1/16in deep. Some semi rigid plastics can be scored to this depth and broken the rest of the way. Most softer materials, such as cardboard and leather allow the cutter to wander. This issue can be corrected, but I need clarification on some of the limits.

The question becomes, Would you be willing to have a knife that could cut these materials, but could not cut a tight corner or would have a minimum cutting diameter of 1/4in or 3/8in?

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    The current knife is capable of cutting up to 1/16in deep. Some semi rigid plastics can be scored to this depth and broken the rest of the way. Most softer materials, such as cardboard and leather allow the cutter to wander. This issue can be corrected, but I need clarification on some of the limits.

The question becomes, Would you be willing to have a knife that could cut these materials, but could not cut a tight corner or would have a minimum cutting diameter of 1/4in or 3/8in?
    For my use I do not need to cut inlays just cardboard for boxes I have vacuum hold down for the material.

Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

For my use I do not need to cut inlays just cardboard for boxes I have vacuum hold down for the material.

Mike
    I'm testing a second model right now. Programming boxes is challenging, but I almost have it.

The boxes I plan to make will be this style http://www.uline.com/BL_1304/Jumbo-K...y-Fold-Mailers

Unfortunately they do not make the sizes I need. The products I need the boxes for are not very tall 2.5" high but up to 40" x 16" and as small as 10" x 6" I need about 6 different sizes having them custom made requires me to stock a huge number of boxes and I do not have room to store them.

You can see designing the type box above is pretty straight forward. I plan to make a spring loaded roller to make the creases for folding the boxes. I could make the cutter too but time is something I am short of and if your cutter will work for me I would choose to buy one rather than making my own.

Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC