Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Drag Knife

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    I got mine also is there any programing strategies I should know? How much offset does the blade tip have from center line? I am going to design a small cardboard box and see how it comes out.

Mike
    The thick material knife has an offset of 0.160in. I am working on a video explaining the programming strategies this weekend. I will post a link by the end of the weekend.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I just drew this up what do you think? I extended each vector by .250" to make sure my cuts intersect. The small pieces in the inside corners are to fold in so there is not gap in the corner of the boxes. How fast should I feed the cutter I was thinking like 6" a second?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    I just drew this up what do you think? I extended each vector by .250" to make sure my cuts intersect. The small pieces in the inside corners are to fold in so there is not gap in the corner of the boxes. How fast should I feed the cutter I was thinking like 6" a second?
    It looks like it will work. Test your feeds on some scrap. 6ips should work, but you can sometimes get speed wobbles if you go too fast.

Sean, you mentioned a video, "...I am working on a video explaining the programming strategies this weekend. I will post a link by the end of the weekend.", and I'm wondering if you ever posted it?

I'm interested in your drag knife and am curious about the programming required.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_ludi View Post
    Sean, you mentioned a video, "...I am working on a video explaining the programming strategies this weekend. I will post a link by the end of the weekend.", and I'm wondering if you ever posted it?

I'm interested in your drag knife and am curious about the programming required.
    Unfortunately I have not had the time to finish that project yet. It is coming though. Basic programming is as simple as generating a tool path and telling your cad cam software to cut on the vector. More advanced stuff that involves swiveling the blade at the corners rather than crossing an existing too path is a bit trickier. That is what is intended in that video. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, so it will be a bit longer. Sorry for the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    The price for the tool is $189.
    Sean,
    I am thinking about doing veneer inlay. Would you suggest the D1 or D2 for an all around work including veneer inlay. I would like to purchase.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terryjones View Post
    Sean,
    I am thinking about doing veneer inlay. Would you suggest the D1 or D2 for an all around work including veneer inlay. I would like to purchase.
    Terry
    I did all my veneer demos at IWF with a D2 and a safety blade. A safety blade reduces the offset in a D2 to about .090in. You get almost the same detail as a D1. If versatility is your goal, the D2 is the right choice. If all you wish to do is veneer, than the D1.

I did all my veneer demos at IWF with a D2 and a safety blade. A safety blade reduces the offset in a D2 to about .090in. You get almost the same detail as a D1. If versatility is your goal, the D2 is the right choice. If all you wish to do is veneer, than the D1.
    I never want to close a door to potential oportunities, so the D2 sounds like a winner. Are they both the same price at $189.00? Send me an email to process. tljrns@cableone.net.
    Last edited by terryjones; 11-15-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terryjones View Post
    I never want to close a door to potential oportunities, so the D2 sounds like a winner. Are they both the same price at $189.00? Send me an email to process. tljrns@cableone.net.
    You can go to donektools.com or call shopbot to purchase.

You can go to donektools.com or call shopbot to purchase.
    Thank you for the information.