Thread: Four image per post limit

Default Four image per post limit

This is not something that makes the forum great.

Especially when the images are not hosted on SB servers.
    There are step by steps I have not posted because its a pain for me and a pain for the readers.

Can we remove the limit for images not hosted on SB servers at least?
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Personally I think it's a good thing. There are many forums that allow lots of photos to be posted and then people reply quoting the whole lot and all you see is photo after photo after photo.

Wouldn't it be better to write a step by step as a PDF and then link to that?
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

First please let me preface this with the acknowledgment that this isn't a catastrophe. Overall this forum is a breath of fresh air in a world of drama and hate filled forums. I just think it could be better. And if we don't talk about betterment the forum could stagnate.

Maybe the albums are the solution to this issue. I went to make an album and I was confused. How to add images? Could we create more than one album? The software was not clear what to expect. So, I the user left that area.

I think that going to the forum to leave the forum to look at something that should be in the forum is less than optimal.

Punishing everyone because a few people quote all seems ... like punishment.

There will always be etiquette considerations. They can be culled. Its not that often you see all caps anymore. Forums don't ban capitol letters.

We should love our members towards a great forum with quality posts, questions, answers and more than 4 pictures. If folks go on an image quote spree the members should gently nudge each other away from that.

It seems like the only good reason to limit is storage concerns @ SB. And that is something that could quickly escalate out of hand. That I understand fully. This is why I'm only talking about externally hosted content.

What content are we missing when posting hurts?
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Joe, any forum I've ever frequented limits posts to 4 or 5 pics.
    It's been mentioned why, it's because folks tend to quote and not remove the pics.
    We can add 4 pics to each post, so I spread them out over a series of posts if I have more pics.
    In that instance, like if I'm doing a review or tutorial, I'll make up my posts on notepad, then just copy and paste, hoping nobody posts while I'm waiting the cursory "you must wait 30 seconds between posts" problem.
    There are a lot of good reasons why the rule is so widespread. There are workarounds for guys who aren't spammers or bots.
    It's just another "one bad apple ruins it for everyone else" situation.

You do make a good point, though. This forum is full of respectable adults. I think it'd manage itself pretty well given a little more latitude.
    In short, I agree with you. I just understand why the checks and balances are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by shilala View Post
    Joe, any forum I've ever frequented limits posts to 4 or 5 pics.
    I've gotten around this in a few other forums when I needed to post more photos by combining 2 to 4 photos into one larger, wider picture. Combine 4 photos into 1, and then you can upload 16 photos as 4 photos.

Doesn't always work, some forums don't like larger photos and some distort when loaded.