Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tired of bear hugging my dust collector

Default tired of bear hugging my dust collector

I want to build a better solution to the standard bag and clamp system, but as things tend to go I am sure it will be a while before I get to it.

so in the meantime...any of you guys figured out a way to swap out bags without fighting aligning the clamp on the backside of the collector while your face is planted in the frontside? its so much fun when its full of mdf dust.

i finally realized that if you put a trash bag inside cloth bag it works pretty good - I use big rubber band to hold plastic bag, but still fight the cloth one.

I was thinking about some type of hook and grommet around the perimeter, but before I started anything I figured I'd tap into the cumulative wisdom of the forum.
    Mike Lyons
    !WOW-HUH?
    www.wow-huh.com

magnets will hold it till you get the clamp on.
    Kenneth

i was wondering about that.

I'll give that a try.

thanks
    Mike Lyons
    !WOW-HUH?
    www.wow-huh.com

the plastic bag causes airflow loss so take that into account. a separator may do it for you.

I use a separator made out of a rubermaid tuff can with a modified lid. I only play with my bag maybe once a month. I am planning on modifying another can to use on the base of my dust collector.

regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Invest in a proper cyclone, and a drum or bin to catch the dust. BEst investment ever!

AJC

Back when I was in a 2 car garage and only had one dust collector in the entire shop, I set a 55 gallon drum on legs. The dust came in the side at the top, like a cyclone separator and the dust collector hose was connected on top in the middle of the drum. Under the drum was a gate, kind of like the blast gates used to turn on and off dust collection zones, but as big as the end of the drum. We'd stick a garbage can under the drum and pull the gate. All the dust fell into the can and the gate was replaced. It worked really well unless we overfilled the drum and there was too much dust to fit in the garbage can. I think I emptied the dust bag once or twice a year.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I agree with andrew . Next best is to put velcro to hold in place until the clamp goes on

Default Phil Thein's Separator

I built separator based on the design in this site. http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
    It does a great job.

Phil

Default Separator Parts

I have two of these in line, one at the shopbot and one at the dust collector

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-G...eparator/G3376

It is a simple 30 Gallon can (new condition for a tight seal) and one G3376

The result is that the majority of the chips are collected at the shopbot edge where I have a lot of room. I place a plastic bag inside and in a matter of 30 seconds, the can is empty and on the way to the dump.

The second one is in a closet with the dust collector. The separator gets almost all of the chips... I empty my Dust collector about once a year and shake out the bags but empty the separator more often.

The cost is $100 for the pair of them.