Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with z zero wires

Working again however sticking wires into those little holes isnt fun! Thanks!

Bob,
    There is a little plastic tool that makes it much easier - wago tool. They probably included one with your shopbot. It's just a small, less than an inch, plastic hook. Mine was in a baggie in the binder for the manual.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Hi Bob,

You mention that you have a spindle - something you might want to check out - I never use the ground clamp on mine. Unlike router motors, my HSD spindle is grounded, so the ground clamp is redundant.

Try it out, by touching the ZZero plate to a bit in the spindle and see if it triggers your input in SB3.

I don't remember how long I used the clamp, before I figured this out!

Way easier/safer to use the ZZero plate without the clamp!
    Ron Sloan

Yes..Wago tool i completely forgot about that. You might need to go to an electronics store or electrical supply and have to buy one. If i recall it looks kind of like an arrow with one of the side tips cut off. I guess it is meant to just lift up the metal clip so you can slip the wire in. I think this is what it looks like.
    This way you will at least know what you are looking for or possibly could make one yourself if you can't find one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all. We are now fully operational. Why is it these things always happen when you have a deadline?

So how did it happen - lack of focus by the male member of the team. For once it cant be the female's fault. I was sitting at the computer 6 feet away working on a freebie sign for a rebuilt nursery and cafe (still happening four years after our fires). Bob always has the iPad tune in radio running in the background - so far so good.

Nikki our 18 month border collie loves watching youtube border collies and cows which now MUST happen when we go inside for lunch. She must have worked out that this happens thru the iPad and Apple TV to be seen on the normal TV and stood up feet on bench and barked at the iPad. So Bob got her favourite show "Dazzle" up on the iPad inbetween setting up his next job. Half watching her and half concentrating on his set up, he hit start instead of the Zzero function. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmcTW...e_gdata_player

She who must be obeyed has banned any future shows for Nikki and he who is the boss has learnt a valuable lesson.

Thanks again for all your help - now to look for the little tool!!!

Hugs
    Chrissy

Thanks, Ken, Ron and Jack. Tried your idea Ron of clamping direct to the spindle housing it works fantastically well. Thank you!

Has Shopbot ever done anything about monitoring input 1? It strikes me as being a far safer method (also idiot proof) if there is no circuit then the spindle just wont start. This episode has made us far more safety conscious as I can tell you its no fun bending down in front of a spindle with extra bits flying round!

Anyway we are making a lanyard type safety system with 4 drop down cords. This will turn off the supply to the spindle contactor as well as the emergency software stop. The idea is I dont want to lose the cook but more importantly the ironing lady!

I raised safety / OH&S concerns with Shopbot a few months back as I felt uneasy about the location on the main switch on the Buddy. I was worried about the spindle not turning off during a comms failure. They kindly said they were aware of these short comings and will get back to me. Anyone else got any safety suggestions - (for an old guy getting more dithery day by day!)

Well i didn't want to bring it up but....

In my version of the control software after you do a C2 there is a popup message telling you to disconnect your alligator clip and put away your plate. Do you not have that in your version? If so you would have avoided this whole problem

I can say prior to them installing it into the pgm (i'm sure they got tired of repairing cables) I have never had mine get tore up like that. The way i have always done it and never had a problem was that i attach the clip to the lower roller bolt on the Z axis and i have never had a false reading or bad connection it has worked for me. I don't advise anyone else do that, it just works for me.

You might want to sign Chrissy up for some first aid classes...I have a feeling it may come in handy real soon..... Good luck buddy!

Jack I hadnt done the C2 BUT had the clip on ready tooooooo when I got side tracked by the puppy. Went straight to running the file sadly. I now look at the key switch then the spindle before hitting return to start spindle. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Old dogs can learn new tricks! Too bad we're not as smart as Dazzle! I can see why the pup likes watching that...hey maybe it will learn some new tricks!

When i first started I made up a "countdown list" of steps to go thru and taped it to the bot and to the the computer and ran down that list before i hit the start button.
    I got so i would do a mental checklist and go over each step before i start.
    Now I just do everything second nature half the time never realizing "I already did that step"...so far i haven't missed one yet however it is always a good idea to keep the emergency stop button close by

I seem to recall several versions ago that some type of checklist was written into the interface, or the ability to create one? You might want to check into that.
    Either that or get yourself a "co-pilot"
    X axis set? CHECK!
    y AXIS set? CHECK!
    Z axis set? CHECK!
    Are your seats in the upright and locked position? CHECK!
    Ready for takeoff? CHECK!
    "Ladies and gentlemen this is Captain Bob speaking...today we will be cruising at 2.3 IPS"

dangit...I just did the same thing yesterday

I'm blaming the dogs as well

And my clip is MIA.

Thanks for the tip of clipping to the spindle instead of the tool