Thread: Production of parts opportunity?

Default Production of parts opportunity?

I am looking to manufacture parts for a company etc. for the ShopBot, does anyone have any good ideas?
    Basically i want production

Can't help you find anyone but I do suggest you start small and keep contract terms short in the beginning. Production can be mind numbingly boring, until you know you can survive it don't pile up a big obligation.

/RB

Well Raymond, you like others search for repetitive production but its not the easiest to find. Suggest a few things.
    Determine what materials, tolerances, and volumes you think are ideal.
    Try to find an underserved market area or service. What I like to call the "rich niches"
    Do you want metal, wood, plastics, 2D, 3D? Do you want to finish the parts and/or assemble them?
    If for example you only want to cut MDF or PVC that might help you focus. Be prepared to hear the customer ask IF you will finish or assemble and understand that may take more eequipment, space, and capabilities than you want to get into. Maybe not, but once a company decides to outsource parts,they often want secondary processes done without shipping or handling elsewhere.
    Once you know what you think you want, get something on the web focused on your skills and start making calls or visits to companies in your area you feel may have that particular need.
    PRICING... Try to get your basic material and inhouse costs and selling price criteria established early so you can quickly "ballpark" a budgetary price. Do you want to supply material or have the customer do it? Scrap and mistakes need to be considered but many start with a "machine time" price. Not exactly what I would recommend but some seem satisfied with that until they find out it's the sales time, design time, bits, set ups, clean up, finishing etc that add up to a substantial % of cost so be careful and test the water a while. You can always go down but its hard to raise a price once its out there.
    You have to lose a few to determine whats too high so gently raise the rate no matter how you calculate it until someone tells you you are too high, then you know where the limits are and can adjust accordingly.
    In the end, sometimes its better to take the order, figure ot how to do it, and at least then someone is paying for your education until you're up to speed and dial in the best products and profit levels for your capabilities and goals.
    Remember, you're selling a service at a VALUE not time at a price per minute even though it all comes down to how much one can generate over a period of time.
    Be happy and dive in. Better to make something at break even initially than endless samples at your expense.

Secondary note Raymond, after my post I tried to find you on the web to see what and see what you were up to. Check under rayscraft in a search and see what others may see when they want to check out your shop.
    Best reason to get a new web presence and monitor whats out there to present the best image possible for your goals.

Thanks Jerry, every bit of info. helps