Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've never used my Z-Zero Plate

While I certainly use Georges method regularly on my milling machine set-ups, I find the Z zero plate to be excellent on the Shopbot and certainly works well enough that I wouldn't do it any other way. I even have a X-Y zero plate although that get used very seldom as generally I will machine a temporary fixture in place on the tabletop and then I know I have a precise origin and square corner to work from. I do this quite frequently and has never let me down.

gerald

To: MGM, Paul and Jerry,

Thanks for the help.

I've been using the "Tools", "Setup" forever for establishing the X an Y proximity switch values, and never paid attention to what other options were available.

After unchecking the "always use box" everything works fine for the ZZero routine.

Thanks for your valuable help.

George

Quote Originally Posted by backyard_cnc View Post
    While I certainly use Georges method regularly on my milling machine set-ups, I find the Z zero plate to be excellent on the Shopbot and certainly works well enough that I wouldn't do it any other way. I even have a X-Y zero plate although that get used very seldom as generally I will machine a temporary fixture in place on the tabletop and then I know I have a precise origin and square corner to work from. I do this quite frequently and has never let me down.

gerald
    Gerald,
    Thanks for the comment. Yes the ZZero plate routine will work well in most cases.

Sometime the ZZero plate is too big for the small work areas I sometimes have and therefore the feeler gage technique is the only way to get a good Z-Zero set.

George