Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ready to give up on HSD

Couple updates: (Sry we are off subject of HSD spindles)
    Since I may have said it wrong, on the Z mount there are 8 bearings and 4 v-guides. There is a "groove" wore into 3 of the 4 guides at 6 of the 8 bearing locations.
    That being said, I did go ahead and use the spacer and try again. Only helped a little bit, but running at .0125" chip load the Spindle still tries to jump clean off the CNC. at .0097" Chip load, it runs much better but, the cutter is squealing and the saw dust is pretty warm. (trying to stop cooking bearings on spindles, kind of a bad habbit) Once I switched over and ran some Advantec instead of plywood then I could run it at .011 without much problem. If I didn't mention all of this is from running 3/4 plywood and 3/4 Advantec.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I need a full overhaul and go through everything with a fine tooth comb I truly hope not just for the simple fact, I already run 7 days a week. Not sure catching up from a rebuild is something my body is going to be able to handle.

Take care of your equipment & it will take care of you. A stitch in time saves nine. If your money maker needs something, you better start chucking a few bucks into the kiddie for whatever parts it needs. As an owner/operator you have to ask yourself what you would do if the machine went down. Could you afford to fix it and make up for the lost work? That is often answered with how you can't afford not to fix it NOW in order to prevent down time. Preventative maintenance is money in the bank, and stress off of your shoulders. It sounds to me from what you are saying, that your machine is already considered down...or at best, limping along. Those are tough conditions to put yourself through...but there are solutions available to get your machine back up to spec.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Kind of the same thoughts I'm having. Up until I found out I was running WAY too slow, it didn't appear to have any issues. Now that I am trying to run it "properly" I am finding that she needs a little TLC. I have always been very good about grease and keeping the wheels clean and never noticed any issues so left well enough alone. Not that I am here I need to take care of the problem properly.
    Sooooo do I go at it alone like always or do it the right way and have a pro come in!? Hey Brady whatcha doing this weekend lol it's only about 700 miles or so

I'll give bot a call in the AM and start pricing all the parts to do a full rebuild. Although not in the cards, when my CNC is what feeds the kids, it needs to stay running at all costs. Timing is just a bit bad. (always is)

Actually...today is the first week day I have been home in about 3 weeks...I've been everywhere, man

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com