Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready to give up on HSD

Don,

You can specify a lead-in with a ramp - that keeps the surface damage away from the final cut edge.

Will that work for what you are doing?

Tim

Tim -

that is true in Aspire but in SBLink there is no such thing as a lead in with ramp. You can either plunge or ramp. I plunge about 1/4" past the upcut part of the MC bit and then ramp from there down to cutting depth. I do most of my panel cutting from the SBLink not Aspire.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Troy,

The software upgrade is WAY cheaper than a spindle and will add capabilities... I recommend that you consider it when you have a few $...

MGM

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Tim -

I plunge about 1/4" past the upcut part of the MC bit and then ramp from there down to cutting depth. I do most of my panel cutting from the SBLink not Aspire.
    The link does make this, quite simple to do. It would be nice to have such a feature in PW and Aspire.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Aspire does have a ramp down feature in it

Default dont give up!

i had similar problems on a 4hp spindle,shopbot was no help at all,in the end after hours and hours of turmoil,a few thousand dollars in parts and ruined cuts i dissasembled the spindle and found the main power line was completely torn free from its housing on the front of the spindle-there was almost an inch between connectors! it was just arcing! guess who did it? the tech from shopbot who i paid 3k to come tune up my system!
    check your main line at the front of the spindle,
    check all your connections in your vfd
    be wary of advice from the makers - it seems like they are more interested in money than their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    Aspire does have a ramp down feature in it
    You are correct. To clarify I was referring to a specific feature found in the link, which is slightly different.

Of course it would distract from the original topic for me to discuss that further, and ramping has already been discussed as a potential solution so I will defer to Mr. Eppert.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Well I have done a few things since my last post.
    Changed RPM to 15/k
    Changed feed speed to 3.5 IPS (4.0 IPS caused the servo's to clutch out )

I purchased Part Works yesterday as well. I was going to just start changing all of my toolpaths over last night but, there appears to be a slight learning curve from PartWizard to Part Works (Might need to hit up the tutorials )
    This evening I will open the VFD and check all connections along with run a secondary ground from spindle to VFD.

Thank you for all the advise and opinions. I will keep updating as I find / try other things (except the week long vacation next week )

I am still unable to locate an American service number for HSD but, I do have their email now so, I will send them the info about this situation as well.

Thanks again,
    Troy

HSD USA Inc.
    3764 SW 30 Avenue
    33312 - Fort Lauderdale, FL (USA)
    Tel: +1 954 587 1991
    Fax: +1 954 587 8338
    web: www.hsdusa.com
    Nat Wheatley
    Plymouth Custom Closets
    www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Default Update

Well since our last discussion, I figured I would let everyone know where I stand on HSD spindles and what all I have done.

Just so there is no confusion; I am still very happy with Shopbot CNC's BUT, HSD still another issue.

Since the last discussion I have purchased and put in place Partworks using ramps on all cuts as well as upgraded to an Alpha system. (In fact in the last 2 years by upgrading and working my Yawhoo off, I have quit my day job, moved from a garage to a 3800' shop and moved from there into a 8500' shop all with 1 Shopbot) I now run 17/k RPM with a 6IPS feed speed. This falls within a safe range on the chip load and seems to be a good enough finish for everything I do. After talking with Shopbot on the last spindle, basically, there isn't warranties on the spindles due to too many "goof-ups" from new users. I however, without so much as one crash now have yet another spindle bearing going out. Not real sure my options but, up for ideas!?