Thread: Need router bit primer

Default Need router bit primer

Can you recommend your favorite primer on router bits? (pdf? book? Archive thread?) I'm a new ShopBotter and just bought the "starter kit" of 8 router bits. I need to learn what the specific use for each bit.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, Welcome to the club. I'm not sure how to answer your question. The best advice I can give on what tool to use for what application would be to experiment and try it. Basically, if you are wanting to V-cut some letters then the V-cut tool would be used, if you want simple outline profile cuts then use a flat bottom end mill type cutter, if you are cutting 3D shapes then you will need to use a ball nose cutter... If you have a specific type of cut or project then we may be able to steer you with some more detail.

Here is a thread on the Vectric forum that provides some discussion and links: ->Thread
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Mike, I just started using my Shopbot less than a month ago. I caught on to "what bits to use where" by watching all the instructional videos at Vectric as well as the ones that came along with the software.
    Once you see what they do on the videos, then recreate some of the projects, you'll see what the tools do and you'll get ideas about what else you could use that would be handy for the things you want to do.
    The downside of learning what bits to use is that I need to buy lots more bits.
    The upside is that if I get my sizes just right, I can create toolpaths that get the project done much quicker, and that saves machine time.

Mike & Scott:

Steve Glassel has compiled a wonderful introduction to router bits and published it as a google doc:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8GtiBWUjRyRY01lYmNrWW5CVUU

This is much discussed under the thread "Router bit basics... A group created document..."

Hope that helps-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thanks, Dana!!!

Dana, the "Router Bit Basics for CNC" .doc is exactly what I had hoped to find. Thanks so much for pointing that out.

I'll be looking into the Vectric videos, too. Appreciate the advice from all.

Mike

Experiment!

Part of the fun of owning a CNC machine is learning what it can do.

Cut a lot of foam until you get a feel for how things work, then read through the forum until you understand the concept of "chip load". Use the "chip load" calculator to set your feed and speed and then experiment some more.

At least 25% of the wood that I bought was "wasted" in experiments. If you always cut the same thing, you won't have to run so many tests, but plan on burning up some cutters and wasting some material. If you take careful notes, it will help you become proficient.