Thread: Help with new Shopbot

Default Help with new Shopbot

I feel that this has been asked before but I can't find it. I am setting up my PRSAlpha 96x60 and need to know the steps per inch? Also, is there anyway to cut off the spindle fan when the spindle is not moving?

I'm sure there will be more questions to follow.

thanks,
    Doug

Doug...
    If you went thru the setup routine, your machine should have the correct parameters loaded from the settings file. You can do this manually by typing [U] [R] load a settings file, clicking yes to all the nag boxes and then selecting the PRS folder and then PRSalpha folder. The default settings for the PRSalpha 9660 will be there.

Turning off the irritating fan noise is an OK idea, if there is a way to always have it running when the spindle needs cooling. You can install a switch in one of the wires that go to the spindle. They are 24V DC (HSD) so you dont need to go crazy on the switch specs.

Another way is to have it controlled by a relay that comes on with the spindle, but this doesnt allow it to run after cutting to cool the spindle. You could add this feature by using an off-delay relay.

Any of these automated solutions will need to be set up by adding a TTL relay board that takes the very low output (TTL) from the control board and operates relays that will handle larger loads.

SB sells one that is plug and play and Ed has written an article on how he used it: http://www.shopbottools.com/getting_started.htm
    Gary

Thanks Gary. Run the setup file you mentioned and everything seems to be working correctly. I am fixing to read the article on the fan.

thanks again,
    Doug

My Colombo/Delta 3-hp spindle has a parameter that can be adjusted to control the fan.

03-12 00 = fan always on
    03-12 01 = fan stops 1 minute after AC stops
    03-12 02 = fan stops and starts with drive AC
    03-12 03 = fan turns on when heatsink temp rises

I can't find a manual online for the Yaskawa VFD, so I don't know whether that VFD has similar parameters in its setup section.