Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Puzzled About Why USB Hubs Help

garyc Guest

Kevin...
    Set table parameters and toggle table limits by using command [V] [L]. Also if experiencing this type of issue, when at 0,0 position type [Z] [T] to zero the table base coordinates.

Gary your a walking encyclopedia thanks

Hey Everyone. Just a thought out loud here. Would it not be in most cases the best resolve if we could buy a control computer from shopbot when ordering a new machine? I know a few other manufacturers do this but perhaps it is not the best idea.....thoughts??
    I run a win 7 with usb card and hub. I have only had a few keyboard issues that caused comm error.

I think the idea of selling CNCs with a control computer has been discussed many times over the past several years. SB is not in the computer business, and for as many issues as this would alleviate, I think that it would cause just as many problems from a support standpoint. "The machine is fine...but I can't find Free Cell..."

The thing about most SB customers is that they are totally new to CNC, and they may also be new or inexperienced in other areas as well. This adds a tremendous amount of load from a support standpoint - and I think that SB has done an absolutely phenominal job with their support team. When you consider just how many different models and permutations of ShopBots were produced, plus different accessories, it's amazing at how well they can pin point a problem and remedy it quickly. Bravo!

I know my comments about 'your CNC's communication not working is all your fault' may have come off a little harsh...But, some (no one in particular) need to be yelled at in order to get with the program. I see threads posted all the time about COM issues, and quite frankly, it is because their hardware is subpar. I hate the idea that a potential buyer will see all these COM issue threads and think that is the norm for a ShopBot. It isn't...There should be a sticky post section on this board for information like this.

I agree 100% about the pics that are posted from time to time with Bots under a mountain of sawdust with junk and debris laying all around. Some of you people are downright slobs! Slobs I say!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

"Some of you people are downright slobs! Slobs I say"

Ouch... I resemble that remark!

SG

garyc Guest

Brady's comments X2

And I think Brady will back this up...."You should see some of the ones that they dont take pics of!!!!"

Back to the original question...

Thanks to everyone for their input. Brady's original reply answered my question very thoroughly and helped me to see the error in some of my thinking. However, later, something Brady mentioned made me just want to make sure of something. At one point he parenthesized "throw the IOGear one in the trash" (in reference to a USB hub). My USB hub is not IOGear. The IOGear product I've originally referenced is a USB to RS232 adapter provided by ShopBot with the original purchase of the tool. Brady, were you suggesting that this adapter should be replaced with something better?

FYI, at present, my comm issues are a thing of the past. My last speed tests were in the 90's (though I haven't had time to test the new computer yet).

John,
    There is nothing wrong with the IOGear USB to Serial adapter. In fact, it is probably one of the best out there. I was referring to the USB hub, which I have found isn't as reliable as we'd all like them to be. When they work, they are great. When they flake out, they can really play tricks on you. So be aware of that if you own one. I had no trouble with mine on my BT48, but I have seen them DOA on new tools and flake out in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    And I think Brady will back this up...."You should see some of the ones that they dont take pics of!!!!"
    Yeah really...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Can't beleive it, but here we go some more:

Brand new computer worked perfect yesterday.

Today: Unable to finish a spindle warmup cycle.
    Note: no vac motors or dust collectors running to introduce line noise.
    New PRSAlpha 96x60 vintage February 2012, = CLEAN installation, hired professional electrician to hook up power and ground connections. Have studied all threads on ground issues and verified I am not breaking any rules there, nor have any loose/corroded ground points.

Anyone interested can review following text describing reason for program error. Same message original laptop was displaying. I've forwarded to support and will call monday, but anyone who can give me a clue is more than welcome to interject any constructive comments.

Meanwhile, I have a pile of lumber to process into furniture - Hope the part files run after I plow through the warmup dance.

jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hook it up to the net and do a Windows Update. Pull everything down that you can. Then, download the latest version and re-install SB3, and then re-install firmware to the control box. See if that gets you anywhere.

-B