Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom

Default Wacom

Is anyone using a graphics tablet?

I'm considering a new, medium sized, Wacom. It's not cheap and was wondering if anyone had experience.

Joe- Wacom builds excellent products. Years ago I wrote a program to generate animated cartoons. The artists loved the wacom tablets because it felt more like a real brush or pen. They can be pressure sensitive, which adds a whole new dimension to drawing over using a mouse.

The stylus also is usually exactly linear. You move it an inch and your cursor moves exactly an inch (on the document, screen size may vary). On Macintosh computers it moves exactly an inch on the screen also.

The exact motion feature makes them great for tracing drawings, just tape the drawing to your tablet, and start drawing. For CAD work they have some real advantages.

It may be a great tool for you, seeing how you sandblast your signs with your "touch", you may find the Wacom to be a real asset in using the computer with "touch".

Hope that helps!

(Bev says hello!)

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thanks Buddy,

I knew you'd know about this stuff.

I've been posting all over the place and found out a table doesn't work on Vetric and Aspire due to the pressure sensitive feature.

No pro since I don't design over there. I've moved over to Corel and Illustrator. I'd stay with Corel except it won't work with Open Type.

Thanks again.

Joe, are you using an older version of Corel? I finally updated to X5 and OpenType works great. I was using X3 and can't remember if they worked there or not.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Thanks Buddy,

I knew you'd know about this stuff.

I've been posting all over the place and found out a table doesn't work on Vetric and Aspire due to the pressure sensitive feature.

No pro since I don't design over there. I've moved over to Corel and Illustrator. I'd stay with Corel except it won't work with Open Type.

Thanks again.

Bob,

Wow, I hope that's right.

Would you please see if you can open up the Glifts pallet. While you can import some open fonts, the pallets are extremely limited. PhotoShop is the same way. You only get a few alterations. It's the alterations im interested in. Most of my open types are expensive. Around $100 each.

Check out http://sudtipos.com/home I purchased Burges Script for it's alterations. You can see these in their type tester on the front page.

Thanks again for your help. Aren't these forums great.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Joe
    I would suggest the Wacom Intuos 4 medium pen tablet. It has about a 6x8 inch drawing area and is 10x14 so you can fit it next to your keyboard. Because it has such high resolution it is easier to use than the old 12x12 models we had in the past. You can adjust any of the functions from the little buttons without having to open the Wacom utility. About $325 on amazon, so it's not cheap, but it is a professional quality tool. Sometimes Corel has it bundled with upgrades, sometimes a better deal, sometimes not.

thanks for all of your amazing teaching here and over on the "3d sign Forum"
    Bob

The glyphs look rather complete to me. I don't have them memorized though. If you can provide any specific examples to look for I will be glad to do so.

Bob

Bob,

Wow, I hope that's right.

Would you please see if you can open up the Glifts pallet. While you can import some open fonts, the pallets are extremely limited. PhotoShop is the same way. You only get a few alterations. It's the alterations im interested in. Most of my open types are expensive. Around $100 each.

Check out http://sudtipos.com/home I purchased Burges Script for it's alterations. You can see these in their type tester on the front page.

Thanks again for your help. Aren't these forums great.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Yep there are too many to keep in mind.

Take a look at these. Only a few are available in PhotoShop

http://www.veer.com/download/pdf/burguesscript.pdf

I love my Wacom tablet and can't imagine life without it. I have a 6" x 8" Intuos 3 and it's a great tool. I got a deal on it on eBay about 5 years ago. I use it for all my graphic design work in SignLab and Illustrator, and all of my cartoon work in Photoshop. It was money well spent for me.
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Hi Joe,

We've had a few people fail to get the tablet working under Linux, but we and many of our other users have them working fine under windows.

Brian