Thread: Latest Info on Shopbot & Aspire on Mac

Default Latest Info on Shopbot & Aspire on Mac

I've done a search on using Shopbot and Vectric software on a Mac but not seeing anything recent.

I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone currently using Aspire (pref 3.5) and or SB operating software on Bootcamp and/or Parallels running windows. If with Parallels, pref. with recent or current Mac OS.

Our investment in hardware and software is all in the Mac platform so would rather not have to put a few thousand more in Windows based hardware/software.

We anticipate using it primarily for design but it would be nice to know if it can also be used as a backup to the older Windows PC controller that is coming with the 2009 PRS Alpha we just bought.

I run Vectric software on a Mac running VMware and Windows 7. Works great
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Gerald,
    my two computers at home are macs, and I run the split HD since some software I have wont run on a Mac.

WHen I bought my shopbot I bought a PC laptop to run it, and also run Aspire on it. But, I do a lot of file transfers to and from my Mac/PC since I process all my images and also have a CAD program I use on the Mac.

I was tempted to try running the bot from the "PC side" of my Mac, but since I also go online, and have some other software that I need to leave on it, I thought it would be better to buy a new PC and use it just for the bot and aspire.

I guess if I wiped everything off the PC side, and used it similarly to how I have the PC laptop set up (no internet, no virus protection, no auto update, no games, etc) it should work the same, but then I'd basically have a dedicated computer for the machine anyhow. And, a PC laptop is much less than my Macbook pro.

I'd be interested to know how you handle this if you decide to stay with the Mac, and how it works.

AJC

I use Aspire with Parallels but run the SB with a PC. Aspire works great on the Mac.

Thanks much, Randall, Andrew and Wayne; just the info I was looking for. Looks like it will be one of the new MacBook Pro's we'll go with then. That will save some serious cash - two thousand just for a duplicate Adobe Design Suite Premium pkg. So now the choice is either the higher speed of Bootcamp or the convenience of Parallels/VMWare. I'll even try it out in controller function (as our backup controller) and post how it all turns out.

Might be worth a search on the Vectric forum as well. Lots and lots of posts from people using Macs with Aspire/Vcarve.

Good point Adrian, I'll do that for sure. Thanks much.

I used parallels a few years ago but the hotkeys were off enough it was a real pain. Well if you don't use it on both platforms it is ok but trying to sue both it drove me nuts.

I ran Partworks via parallels on an early Macbook for a while and it did work OK. For windows 7 and Aspire, I would go for a minimum of 8gb of ram if you can. Especially if you are running Lion.

I havent tried running Aspire via Parallels because I think it might be a bit awkward, like Steve mentioned. I am also so used to the multi touch features on my MBP I would go crazy using a laptop without them.

I would love to be able to run Aspire, and E-Cabinet systems natively on my MacBook Pro. I would go as far as to buy a new license for Aspire, if a mac version were available. Then I would only need to deal with 2 computers. One top of the line, Mac laptop and a windows system to run the ShopBot. That is what I really want to do.

I do however keep a dedicated "cad workstation" because that is really the best option until the software dev's decide the markets have changed.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.