Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Civil War Chair

AJ

As far as for file size limitations... I personally use Google Drive and I know others use Drop Box and other sites that a link can be posted for.

I made several versions of that patio chair but cooled toward them when the design proved a finger pincher for my grand children!

SG

There are free online PDF to DXF converters. I don't know if the file will be small enough in DXF. It may be worth a shot
    http://www.pdftodxf.com/

Phil

Phil
    Can you or anyone else who has a physical version of this chair verify a dimension please? I need to know the center to center dimension of the seat stretchers when opened. I'm working on a "link" seat version rather than cloth. My calculations show it to be 14.5"

Thanks

SG

Steve,

As I understand the explanation in the plans the outside dimension of the stretchers is 14 1/2". AJ does not give a center to center dimension.
    Hope this helps.

Phil

OK, I think I have the Dropbox thing figured out. (I've had Dropbox on my machine for ages, but use it so rarely I always have to read the directions every time I use it.) This should be a direction link to a full-size PDF of my original chair patterns----

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54654246/Of...20drawings.pdf

Note that on the drawing I've placed reference marks at 6" intervals for correct sizing when printing out. And for those who haven't yet seen the chair, I'll attach some image links below as well.

Have fun.

A.J.

======================

Here's the chair in its upright position...

... and folded down for carrying and storage.

Here's an in-progress shot with my repro next to the original.

A.J.,

Thanks for your excellent follow through, and access to your original drawings. That worked very well.

Doug

The chair is finished. This shows the chair with the cloth seat. This is a very comfortable, lighttweight chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8GtiBWUjRyRVVdXd2xfd2pVclk

Here is a link to a .crv file I created from A. J. Hamlers original PDF of the Civil war campaign chair. I have created vectors on top of his drawings. I am providing them in this format as it includes the original PDF converted to a bitmap and imported into the latest version of PartWorks. This will allow anyone to tweak the vectors as they may see fit with out having to recreate the entire project. You should refer to the Magazine article for assemble help. You will also find some random untried messing around I was working on. One version was trying to make it look more like the bentwood models popular at the time and an idea I want to try involving making the seat out of "links" rather than cloth... totally not period authentic.

Please let me know if the file will not open... Doug was unable to open it, but it works well on this end.

SG

P.S. the file will not open in the Google preview window as Google doesn't have a clue what a .crv file is... you must download it...
    Last edited by steve_g; 07-25-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Steve,

Your "ps" was the clue I needed...to download. I got the message that "...unable to generate a view...", so I shrugged and went elsewhere.

I would suggest going to the upper left, click File, and then click download. Or Ctrl + S

Doug