Thread: Starting new business

Snellgrove Custom Home Carpentry, New Brockton Alabama

Default Starting new business

i am atrim carpenter by trade looking for something new the housing market has died in my area which is southeast alabama. have computer skills and have some experience in some cad programs. have been interested in shop bot several years and thinking of starting new business with the purcchsse of a new shop bot need to know what others think of the idea and some pointers to help get started was thinking of getting i think 96x60 machine can be reached at schc36351 at gmail dot com

Go see some of the botters within your driving ange. You wont regret it and you'll learn a lot, and meet great folks especially if you go to a camp.
    Read, read, read the forum, new posts and old. Its an unbelieveable source for ideas, facts, successes, and technical dialog.

Howard, I think you need to come down to earth. I believe there are a lot of guys on this list sitting with a large cash investment already made and they are crying for work to make that next payment etc. Think very carefully before you fall into the same trap. If anything, buy a machine from them, you will probably save yourself a lot of money. Your time will be better spent turning off the computer and hitting the streets researching the market for your services. Knocking on doors of potential customers etc. If they are looking for a service provider, and you find several in the same boat, then and only then should you consider this a viable alternative.

Do your research. KNow your market FAR better than others. Find a DEAL on a machine and pay for it with cash. Don't expect the machine to replace your income immediately (nor make you wealthy!). It CAN, if you are aware of a niche market, bring you as much extra income as you could want- and MAY replace your day job. Be smart about this. Go in cheap ( on your expenses) and make sure no one can force you out of what you want to do via bad markets, less than perfect timing, and the drudge of all the naysayers.

I started my main business over 15 years ago. At times I have struggled. It happens. Make sure you are more than a match to the challenges that you will face and then go after your dream! I started a second business last year and will start a third this year. Be smart, not afraid.

Monty